Author Topic: Stuck bearings  (Read 5326 times)

Offline kayz1

Stuck bearings
« on: December 10, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
Hi all, easy Q for most i think but not for me.
I am trying to replace the knackered bearings in my new mill :doh: The jockey wheel for the belt drive. Lots of noise turned out tobe the pulley not machined correctly and the bearings spinning, temp job until the new bearings arrived was to use bearing lock...Wurth bearing retainer DOS
heat resistant :doh: my slide hammer will not move them. So how do i get them out please?
When i get them out i can set about machining the pulley to take the next size bearing, if i can hold the pulley some how!
Regards.   Lyn.

Offline BenH

• My photos
Re: Stuck bearings
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
Get a blow torch on the pulley and melt the retainer that will soon get them moving. That stuff only work up to 200'c anyhow..

Offline kayz1

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
Was my thinking to but thought there maybe another way. Thanks. Lyn.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:35:49 PM »
All done now, hit the pulley with the oxy set at the lads Garage pulled the bearings and came home.
Cleaned up and re-fitted new FAG bearings, made a new pivot shaft ( only had a lump of stainless so
used that, ( pivot arm was rocking on the shaft ) then set about setting all the pulleys to the correct heights.
 I new have a nice almost silent 626.
  Next task is to pull the motor off and remake the pivot plate as that too is a bit floppy :doh:
Do i go the whole hog and fit the new SKF bearing set i bought for the quill while i have it in dead mode! :doh:
Lyn.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:29:09 PM by dsquire »

Offline svk

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:30:11 PM »
What size bearings did you use? My new Warco has the same problem with sloppy bearing fit :hammer:

I guess the jockey and pulley was made on a late friday night....

Offline kayz1

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
The service manual that comes with the Chester machine says the bearings are 6003z 20x35x9 but my pivot arm had been bored off the verticle so a rebored it the next bearing size up  6904 2rs 20x37x9  also had to make a new pivot shaft as that too was not to my liking..

Offline ausdier

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 10:17:55 AM »
Heat may not always be a good choice.
Another method is, if you can remove the part with bearings in it and can then remove the inner race, you can then run a bead of weld around the inside of the outter race of the bearing then cool straight away under some water.
Minimal heat will go into the part and the rapid cooling is no concern as it will only be on the old bearing.
After doing this I find that the bearing outter will just about fall out.
Hope this is some help.
Cheers.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Thanks for that, i will store the info in the little grey cell. :thumbup:
 Lyn.