Author Topic: End mill back rake angle for use in wood.  (Read 4790 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
End mill back rake angle for use in wood.
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
I'm planning on building a router copy carver for consistently carving banjo necks. I've read in a few places that routing extremely hard woods like maple can be quite dangerous with the router digging in and throwing the work at you. With a router copy carver the router is free to pivot and move about, so this has me a bit unsure about the idea with the router being more free to pull itself into the work, and also more free to come swinging at me if it got loose.

From what I know about lathe tools, less back rake has less of a chance of digging in. I'm wondering firstly if endmills typically have less of a back rake than routing cutters (I can't find any information on the rdg or arceurotrade websites on their endmill angles), and secondly if this line of thought is stupid or not.

Offline chipenter

Re: End mill back rake angle for use in wood.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:33:12 AM »
Its not so mutch the back rake but the front or lead angle metal cutters have a lead of 4 to 5 degrees , router cutters for wood have zero front rake and scrape the wood without lifting the grain .
Jeff

Offline Jasonb

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
Router cutters also have a bit lump of the steel body behind the carbide tips which help to act a limiters so the cutter won't take such a big bite.

J

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
Glad I asked the question then. Thanks for your replies.

Guess it seems obvious now that a bit designed for wood would be best suited for wood.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
I saw a copy router on TV many years ago and noticed the cutter bit was bull nosed. It was being used to copy rifle stocks from Italian Walnut.