Author Topic: Hello from Hampshire, UK.  (Read 4740 times)

Offline jimwhiting

Hello from Hampshire, UK.
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:21:55 PM »
Hi,

Been lurking for almost a year now learning as much as possible from the project logs/video's etc...

My name is Jim and I finally took the plunge about 2 years ago and bough myself a Warco WM280-VF lathe... and then around a year later (March 2013) I purchased a WM-18 mill with DRO and power feed for the X-Axis...

It all followed a rather annoying set of events where some theivin oik stole a rather expensive mountain bike out of my back garden where I had inadvertently given them a nice pile of earth to use to climb out over the 7 foot wall surround said back garden...  :wack:

So this:

Got moved from here:

This kind of accelerated my plans and forced me to build a shed to keep the replacement in...

Album: http://s240.photobucket.com/user/jungle-jim/slideshow/Shed%20Build

which turned into a workshop which in turn had no room to keep the bike in and forced me to build/extend the existing lean-to on the other side of the garden...

Album: http://s240.photobucket.com/user/jungle-jim/slideshow/Shed%202

Anyway I now have a great little place to work on one of my hobbies which is repairing and building Airsoft guns... (And any other gadget we use) (Airsoft for those that don't know uses BB guns kind of similar to paint ball but without the paint... we run around usually on a Sunday on dedicated sites around the country crawling through mud, charging into buildings effectively playing soldiers...) The guns themselves use either a gas mechanism (CO2 or propane) or battery operated gearbox to fire small 6mm plastic pellets at the opposition (Who wear appropriate safety gear)... The whole game is honour based as the pellets don't mark like paintball.

I really enjoy being able to make up custom rails, barrels etc for people, and also just machining things to fit... A vast quantity of the bits n bobs we use are made out in China and the quality control just isn't there a lot of the time... being able to tidy up threads, and mill adapters etc is great!

Anyway, that is a little bit about me...

Offline krv3000

Re: Hello from Hampshire, UK.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »
Jim

Hi and welcome to MadModder. Sorry to hear about the bike but I guess the lathe and mill will help some to take it off your mind. We look forward to your participation in the various forums.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline jimwhiting

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 03:31:23 AM »
The bike being nicked was actually a blessing in disguise! The insurance company paid out in full with no hassle and I found a much better built one, more modern, lighter etc within the price bracket... and some money let over to put towards the shed build... I was in shock after having to deal with car insurance people a couple of times...

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:04:07 AM »
Hi Jim
              Welcome to the forum, looks like your all ready to go.  What projects have you in mind?

Cheers David

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »
Welcome from the (currently) warm side of the planet.

Jim

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:21:52 AM »
Hiya Jim,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Sorry to hear about the bike, but it looks like the shed came along nicely. I haven't played airsoft (yet, there is a spring Beretta in the closet) though I did paintball in the early 90's. Lately my son and I have been playing tag with Nerf guns. I have been reading a ton about the modding scene for it...

Back to airsoft. Have you scene this: Bots with airsoft guns... My son wants to do this.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline jimwhiting

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 05:44:33 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcomes!

I've got a few things burning a hole in my brain whilst i am supposed to be doing the day job...

My other half bought me some of the hemingway kits for Christmas and my birthday last year... so i have a rear parting post to build, a filing rest and the slotting/keyway attachment.

I've also got an inkling to make a gearbox for the lathe... I am forever changing thread pitches and also needing the fine feed... i had an idea of splitting the fine feed off to a separate motor or stepper allowing me to have separate limit switches etc to make it more repeatable without having to fully cnc... but the banjo and gear carriers are wearing out, and can be noisy, so i really want to crack on with something there...

Too many ideas and not enough spare time!

Oh and the airsoft robots look awesome! Again i'd love to make something like that as well...

-Jim

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »
Hi Jim

Welcome to MadModder, like the shed you built there, looks nice and cosy.

Cheers David

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »

Hi Jim!  :wave:

Welcome to the Collective.  :borg:

With your background and experience, we should get along very nicely.  :thumbup:

Looking forward to sharing your adventures. Enjoy!  :D

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 12:49:51 AM »
Hi and welcome Jim,

Good to hear things turned out for the better, just pity that some sort of justice couldn't befall the scroat that nicked your possessions....
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.