Author Topic: Bending threaded rod (studding/allthread)  (Read 10844 times)

Offline picclock

Bending threaded rod (studding/allthread)
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:38:36 AM »
I'm making some ubolts from threaded rod. What is the best way to process the rod and have it naturally keep the correct shape without being overly brittle ?.

I can bend it round the a section of the pipe(s) to be supported and then heat it to remove the stress. I figure on having a couple of pivoting blocks to do the actual bending rather than make a concave receptacle for each size. By setting the gap between the blocks to be the pipe size + twice the diameter of the threaded rod I should be able to get a reasonable bend.  Not sure how to control 'spring back' although I figure the heat treating may help.

I am using 6 and 8mm rod on diameters of ~ 100 and 140 mm tube.

Any advice much appreciated

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Meldonmech

Re: Bending threaded rod (studding/allthread)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 06:17:52 AM »
Hi picclock
                   The roots of the threads become stress raisers when bent cold and may cause cracking and even breakage of the rods. If you heat to red then bend you should avoid this problem, then while still hot cover with warm dry sand and leave to cool naturally.
                                  Cheers David

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »
I think David is right, best bend hot. Better still if you could do it would be to bend some rod with just the ends threaded.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 12:01:18 PM »
Not wishing to be alarmist, but just what are you going to use them for ??

In my long past youth I had dealings with HT U_bolts and they were made as Arbalist said and with rolled threads, not cut.

'Course, if you are just securing the fairy to your Christmas tree, it won't matter much ...

Just a thought ...

Dave.
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline picclock

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
@ Bluechip
Max load is 22kgs and I plan on using two bolts for that, though one should be more than enough. Its below head height so if it did come loose and actually fall might give a broken toe.  I suspect it would hang on the pipes long before that happened. Its really more to relieve the stress on the pipe joints.

Will try the red hot bend tomorrow after I've finished making a bender.

many thanks

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)