Author Topic: old indicator gauges  (Read 3654 times)

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
old indicator gauges
« on: November 28, 2013, 09:36:31 PM »
I'm a sucker for old style indicators, pretty useless by comparison to modern dti's and digi ones but i just like the nostalgic place they hold. I was told they were given to most young apprentices when they began, with the cost being deducted from their first wage,,,dont know how common this practice was but it sounds fair enough to me....Anyway,, i picked up this little item the other day and was wondering if anyone can explain how it would have been held against the job in hand? was it just held in the toolpost of the larger machines or was there a particular type of stand for it?

ps. can someone point me to instructions on how to make my photos thumbnails instead of these big things i always end up posting......
thanks..
...Mike... 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:57:13 AM by dsquire »

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
Re: old indicator gauges
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »
wel well well.......... sods law strikes again!!! :doh: somehow, for the first time ever my photos have been made a more reasonable size??? i assume the mods have changed something so as to make posting photos idiot proof :scratch:...great.. :clap:

...Mike...(the idiot) :loco:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »
wel well well.......... sods law strikes again!!! :doh: somehow, for the first time ever my photos have been made a more reasonable size??? i assume the mods have changed something so as to make posting photos idiot proof :scratch:...great.. :clap:

...Mike...(the idiot) :loco:

Hi Mike

No your not an idiot.
When you attach photos as you have done the thumbnails always come out the same size no matter what the size of the photo

The photos that you posted are a bit larger than we usually like to see. I have found that 640 x 480 is a good size for showing the detail and giving a good download speed for people that ar on dial up. Yours came thru at 2816 x 2112. I will fix them up for you so they are 640 x 480.

Here is a link to a post that tells how to use Faststone Photo Resizer to resize your photos. This is what I use. You can do 1 or a bunch in just minutes once you have set it up the first time.

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,4735.0.html

If you have any questions just ask and I will give you a hand.  :D :)

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 04:18:59 AM »
Thanks Don,  :thumbup:
I thought there was a thread with advice on how to do this but i just could'nt find it,,, probably because i kept getting sidetracked reading other threads...But thats what i like about this forum,, when you log in you just never know where you'll end up...but it's always educational

cheers :beer:

...Mike...

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
Hi
             The indicator would need to be held by the edges with some thing like a tool makers clamp. The clamp could then be held in the lathe tool post, this would ensure there would be no squashing of the indicator needle.

Interesting   Cheers David