Author Topic: Odd tooling - Schmid kosta driving centre -MK4  (Read 7015 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Odd tooling - Schmid kosta driving centre -MK4
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »
So i have seen the use of drive dogs here now and then and been thinking why isnt anyone using driving centres.. So for posterity.. i got hold of one fitting my lathe and thought i make a thread about it..

So here it is. Its my own prefered way of driving cylindrical material between centres - cause i almost lost a finger with a drive dog once upon a time long time ago and so on.

Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline mattinker

Re: Odd tooling - Schmid kosta driving centre -MK4
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
Hi,

I got this set with my milling machine! I haven't used it yet as I have yet to make the morse 4 1/2 to morse 4 reduction to make it work on my lathe. Yes my Colchester has a Morse 4 1/2 spindle nose. I have a soft morse 4 to 5 that I plan to modify to be able to do some seripous turning between centres!

Regards, Matthew

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 03:40:14 PM »
Strange tool to get with a milling machine if you ask me. =) but well a great way of turning a shaft not having to interupt the cut on the full length.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:54:59 PM »
Strange tool to get with a milling machine if you ask me. =) but well a great way of turning a shaft not having to interupt the cut on the full length.

Yep!
it took me a while to figure out what it was as it was out of context!

Looking forward to being able to use it!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
I thought they were used to grind shafts and on balancing machines :scratch:

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 04:03:24 PM »
Actually these drivers were used for woodturning. If you look at lots of old clothes pegs they still have the marks of the driver. They save a lot of setting up by simply spiking the wood and things like catch plates, a single pointed centre and a lot of messy string. We used to use them to blank out square billets of blackwood into the round for the first stages in making Northumbrian small bagpipes.  I think that mine were made out soft No Morse taper blanks with a centre drill and offset driver.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »
Actually these drivers were used for woodturning. If you look at lots of old clothes pegs they still have the marks of the driver. They save a lot of setting up by simply spiking the wood and things like catch plates, a single pointed centre and a lot of messy string. We used to use them to blank out square billets of blackwood into the round for the first stages in making Northumbrian small bagpipes.  I think that mine were made out soft No Morse taper blanks with a centre drill and offset driver.

Actually Norman, these are a little more sophisticated than the drives used in woodworking! I know what your refering to and these are not they!

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/rohm-5633/live-centers-face-drivers-2013-2014-33835/page-28-fullsize.html

Regards, Matthew

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:42:05 AM »

I use this type of drive for wood turning between centers, but I have not seen this metal turning drive before.  My first impression is that the set Matthew has shown, and the catalogue look very expensive, and one would need to have special production requirements to justify the cost.

Interesting  David

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 02:48:50 AM »
Oh, I do agree but the principle of not having the rigmarole of clamping, chucking and whatever is paramount whether it it is making a clothes peg in wood or making negative torroidal seams in high speed say can making.

It is merely a form of holding and driving. I was merely trying to move things into simple explanation with what appears to be something which might be construed as a 'Black art'

Perhaps I'm being somewhat grumpy or contentious but the book that contained the references was Sparey who also used a bit of emery paper as another  friction device.

Meantime
kind regards

Norman

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 02:49:39 AM »
Well if you can pick one up on ebay or other online auction they arent that badly priced, of course used they will need som TLC but not more than take it apart, clean resharpen the teeth on it make sure everything sticks together without play again. =)

Offline mattinker

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 05:04:20 AM »
Oh, I do agree but the principle of not having the rigmarole of clamping, chucking and whatever is paramount whether it it is making a clothes peg in wood or making negative torroidal seams in high speed say can making.

It is merely a form of holding and driving. I was merely trying to move things into simple explanation with what appears to be something which might be construed as a 'Black art'

Perhaps I'm being somewhat grumpy or contentious but the book that contained the references was Sparey who also used a bit of emery paper as another  friction device.

Meantime
kind regards

Norman

Yes Norman,

It's the standard way of holding longish bits of wood in a wood turning lathe, but not in this case. This system is expensive, but I didn't go out and buy it, it was in with the tooling for my mill. As I said, when I get around to making the 4 1/2 to 4 Morse taper adapter for my Colchester I'll give t a try!

Regards, Matthew