Author Topic: Purchased lathe for parts. Any one need something?  (Read 9753 times)

Offline ibuildstuff4u

Purchased lathe for parts. Any one need something?
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:29:07 AM »
I broke a gear in my lathe and ran in to a "parts" machine that was for sale locally so I picked it up.  I'm taking off some parts for my self, but hope to sell of the rest as I don't want to keep too much of it laying around.  Please let me know if you are interested in any parts and I can post a picture along with a price. 

The lathe is a 9X20 asian lathe so the parts should fit any 9x20 lathe such as a Grizzly 4000, Harbor Freight, Jet, Enco, Microlux, Shop Fox and others.

The bed and head stock is in great shape and would make a great CNC conversion and I will let these parts go cheap as they take up the most room and I don't have the extra space to store it.

Please let me know if you have any questions,
Dale P.

ibuildstuff4u@gmail.com

Offline trevoratxtal

• Torbay, South Devon, England
Re: Purchased lathe for parts. Any one need something?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:03:56 AM »
Hello
If we knew what part of the world you lived it might help.
Trev

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
I keep forgetting that a lot of you guys are over seas.  I'm located in the United States in Appleton Wisconsin.  Most of the parts are small enough to ship for a reasonable cost except for the bed.  Hopefully I can find someone locally that would want that other wise it will go to the scrap yard as I have no use for it.

Dale P.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
I keep forgetting that a lot of you guys are over seas. 

Dale P.

...no no Dale YOU are overseas - seem to remember that the Pilgrim Fathers came from here not there  :ddb: :ddb:

Always handy to have your location in your post !

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
If your willing to split the tailstock up ill pay for the barrel, handle,screw ect ect and shipping over the pond, mine is on its last legs so I want to be prepared for when it does go ;)

I may also be interested in the crosslide casting as my t slot has a rather nice piece missing!

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
Steamer,
The only thing stopping me from saying yes is that I'm thinking of offering the bed, head stock, tail stock, and cross slide for sale to be used as a platform for a CNC lathe.  Someone could add ball screws and stepper motors to it and have a nice CNC lathe. 

That would leave all the gears, quick change gear box, face plate, four jaw chuck, top slide, steady rest, tool holder, main lead screw and a few other parts to sell.

I'm pulling everything apart tonight and will post pictures of what I have to sell and will think about your offer. 

Do you have a price in mind for the tail stock parts and cross slide top?  I'm not looking to make a killing here, just want to get back a few bucks for what I paid for the lathe.  I know I could work hard and make a few bucks on all of this, but if I broke even I would be really happy as I don't want to list parts for weeks on E-bay.

Thanks, Dale P.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
Here are some pictures of the parts I'm looking to get rid of.  Let me know if your interested in something other wise they will be posted on E-bay this week.

Thanks, Dale P.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 04:21:13 AM »
I keep forgetting that a lot of you guys are over seas. 

Dale P.

...no no Dale YOU are overseas - seem to remember that the Pilgrim Fathers came from here not there  :ddb: :ddb:

Always handy to have your location in your post !

Andrew

Most Americans think that Neil Armstrong was the first man to go abroad.
John Stevenson

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
Side cover, spindle with bearings and some gears. 

For some strange reason I have parts from two different lathes.  One was from Grizzly and the other from Harbor Freight.  So the spindle has 1-1/2 x 8 thread along with one of the 4 jaw chucks and face plate, but there is a second four jaw chuck with a M39x4 thread.  I also have two steady rests one from the Grizzly lathe and the other from Harbor Freight.

Dale P.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
Hi,

how heavy is the quick change gearbox? I'm thinking about adding one to my Emco. It is a crazy idea as I live in France, but I can't help thinking I would be able to graft it onto my lathe.

Regards, Matthew

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
What diameter is the 4 Jaw chuck please Dale?

Regards,
Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 03:08:19 PM »
The gear box is around 10 to 15 pounds and will fit into a 8" x 8" box.  I can ship it using the United States Post Office, Fedex, or UPS and my zip code is 54915.

The four inch chuck is 6" in diameter and I have two of them.  They are around 10 pounds each. One has the metric threads M39 x 4 and the other one is imperial 1- 1/2" x 8. 

The face plate is also 6" in diameter and is threaded for a metric spindle of M39 x 4.

Dale P.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
Hi,

you don't say how much you want for the gearbox! The cheapest post by USPS is $60, let me know how much you want so that I can think about it!

Regards, Matthew

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 06:31:04 PM »
Matthew, make sure to check out UPS too as some times they have a better price.  As for the price of the gear box, $25.00.

The lathe chucks and face plate are $15.00 each.

Dale P.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 08:38:12 PM »
I won't use UPS as their service here is atrocious it's not only the price! USPS deals directly with the French Post Office here,  if something doesn't get delivered, I can find it!

Can you take a photo of the gearbox seen from the tail-stock end and would you include the banjo with the box?

Regards, Matthew

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »
Here are the photos.  I can include the banjo too and put it in the picture.  I also measured the shaft that runs into the gear box and it's 14.027 mm. 
I'm assuming the Flat rate box from USPS is what you were looking to use to ship this? 

If your interested just shoot over the $25.00 for parts and $60 for shipping.  My pay pal address is ibuildstuff4u@gmail.com

Thanks,
Dale P.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 12:12:20 AM »
Having looked at the photos, taken some measurements and consulted the manual on the Grizzly site, I've come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be to my advantage to add an inch gearbox to my metric lathe. I'd still have to use the change wheels a lot and the modifications would be too complicated!

I'm sorry to have bothered you. I hope you find some one to buy the gearbox, the price is right!

Regards, Matthew

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
Not a problem at all.  I posted the parts on E-bay last night with buy it now prices and 90% of it is gone.  Guess I priced it too low, but in the end I got to keep a lot of spare parts and got all of my money back for the lathe so I'm happy.

Thanks for the interest,
Dale P.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
Well that went really fast.  I listed everything last night with buy it now prices and it's all gone!  Less than 24 hours.  I bought the lathe for $100 and kept the front apron with all of the gears, one of the four jaw chucks, all of the gears, bearings and mounts from the power feed, and a few other small parts.  After E-bay fees I ended up with $150 in my pocket so I think I did well.  I still have the bed and head stock to get rid of but don't want to deal with shipping such a heavy item so I'm going to just list the head stock and recycle the bed.

Thanks again for the offers, I figured I would give you guys a shot at the parts first before listing them.

Dale P.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »
I'm glad it worked out so well!

Regards, Matthew