Author Topic: Making a pair of patterns, and a failed casting attempt.  (Read 5675 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Making a pair of patterns, and a failed casting attempt.
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:26:07 PM »
I've made a video on making some patterns for a zither banjo I'm planning on building. I also had a go at casting itself but it didn't turn out so well. It's still processing so there's no thumbnail or HD options yet.

For the casting there was really more that went wrong than I mentioned in the video. It took me about a month of trying to find a casting partner, asking friends and family, and having every single one of them act enthusiastic but then stand me up when the good weather rolled around. Eventually I just decided to do it on my own, but was pretty fed up about it so I didn't really prepare enough. There's alot to keep track of in casting if you do it on your own.

Oh I also recently made a tablesaw based on Matthias Wandel's. He featured it on his website after I emailed him about it. This is a real quickly made video though.

Offline tom osselton

Re: Making a pair of patterns, and a failed casting attempt.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:44:48 AM »
I see we had some similar problems due to drop out you and I made the same cope and drag with one strip of wood as a key. I used a 1 1/2 " dowel to ram it up at 2 levels and after a dropout I made sure it was rammed good around the key that solved that so a good rammer with the taper on one end seems to be a must. I will post pics of my adventure shortly.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »
I will post pics of my adventure shortly.

That'd be great.

Yeah I re-watched some of John's videos after that attempt and noticed he'd rammed his sand down much more firmly than I was ramming mine. I do feel that cope probably fell out due to lack of ramming since I was being extra sheepish about ramming that. I wasn't convinced my talcum parting powder would prevent the sand from sticking if I rammed it too hard. Before I do it again I'll probably buy some real parting powder along with any crucibles. I do aim to cast brass since it's what these banjos are usually made from.

The banjos are pretty interesting in construction. http://savethebanjos.com/Cammeyer%20ZB.htm

They were unpopular amongst banjo players and the butt of many jokes. The bodies were often made from compressed sawdust, some kind of early MDF, which were pretty vunerable to moisture. But they were amongst the first banjos introduced in the UK and sold reasonably well.

I mostly just like the look of the heavy brass frame suspended inside the pot, and it's probably easier to produce than all the shoes, hooks, and nuts of traditional banjos. I've repaired a couple of banjos in the past, one of which required a new 50 hooks and 50 nuts. It was fun trying to figure out the most efficient and consistent ways to produce them, but it was still tedious work.

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
Simon,
You might want to look at myfordboy on You tube he makes hit/miss and stirling engines all machined from his own castings.
Very innovative videos you produce I love em thanks for sharing.

John W
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer