Author Topic: Alan Timmins Small Dividing Head  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Alan Timmins Small Dividing Head
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:52 AM »
This small dividing head was built in order to build the Alan Timmins  Rack Striking Eight Day Grandfather Clock. The dividing head was serialized in Engineering in Miniature, starting June 1981. see pics 1& 2.  I particularly liked the design for it's simplicity.  The headstock was a simple welded steel fabrication,  a 60 tooth cast iron Myford change wheel was used in conjunction with an Acme worm for the initial reduction, and no other gearing was required. The plates were easily made using the completed head.  Pic 3 shows the unit dissembled. The spindle on my head has a Myford threaded nose, to   enable holding devices to be interchangeable with lathes, mills and grinders. The slotted quadrant plate pics 4&5 allows for meshing worm/ wheel adjustment, and to completely drop out for direct indexing.  The tailstock pic 6 is fabricated using screws and dowels, and is used for pinion cutting. Pics 7&8 shows setup for pinion cutting.  I have cut many gears and pinions, using brass, bronze, steel, CI and plastics, for clocks and machinery, it has served me well.  Should anyone be interested, Blackgates Engineerig sell an iron casting for the headstock.
                                                                                                                              Cheers David