Author Topic: Toolmakers vice  (Read 4288 times)

Offline Ooompa

Toolmakers vice
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »
I am looking to buy a "toolmakers vice" - you know, one of the ground on all sides and accurate to within xxxx thou. The big attraction is the feature that prevents the work from trying to climb out of the vice. However, I have seen a few different types. most noticeably one vendor sells a Typpe1 and a Type2 vice, one has a slot down either side and the other has holes across the base. What is the real differnce here though? and what should I look out for?

graham.
graham.

Offline Arbalist

Re: Toolmakers vice
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
The problem with these types of vice is that it's very difficult to tell if the cross pin that anchors the moving jaw is correctly located in one of the grooves underneath. Some folks actually remove the small pin completely and replace it with a much longer one that can be inserted from one of the side holes ensuring its located properly. The type 2 on Arceurotrade has a couple of springs to pull the pin into one of the grooves but without handling one I can't tell if it can be mislocated as with the type 1. If the anchor pin "pops" smoothly into all the grooves it could be better but it's difficult to tell without playing with one!

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
I bought mine in 2 inch size from CTCtools, it was nicely ground and accurate within 0.02mm.. The locating pin on the underneath though is a hassle to get right so considering change it somehow.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
I bought mine in 2 inch size from CTCtools, it was nicely ground and accurate within 0.02mm.. The locating pin on the underneath though is a hassle to get right so considering change it somehow.

I have two of the CTC vices, the are supplied with a long version of the locating pin. I use only the long pin that goes right through the body and doesn't drop out when your trying to tighten it up.

Very good value for money.

Regards, Matthew

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
The locating pin on the underneath though is a hassle to get right so considering change it somehow.

On my 2 inch vice the pin is held in with a set screw. It's easily removed and replaced with a longer one.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »
The locating pin on the underneath though is a hassle to get right so considering change it somehow.

On my 2 inch vice the pin is held in with a set screw. It's easily removed and replaced with a longer one.

That's it, my vices came with longer pins as included.

Regards, Matthew