Author Topic: Some measurement tooling finds. =)  (Read 8775 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Some measurement tooling finds. =)
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:26:56 PM »
So aquired some measuring.. things.. =)

A set of mitutoyo gauge blocks in.. good working condition... not that shabby.

I stumbled across this Diabase 500x300x100 plate, and.. a "Hercules" height gauge that suprisingly enoug wasnt out when i tried it against the gauge blocks.

Gotta say im pretty happy with these finds.. cost me about.. £200 - not that bad...
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Some measurement tooling finds. =)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »
Nice one Neo   :thumbup:

- those Mitutoyo gauge blocks would have cost a fortune - is there any indication on them what grade they are ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 02:06:13 PM »
Nah, no idea what grade they are. Im guessing they are from some local shop or industrys tooling department. But they are in really nice condition, and the box saids 1984 so they have some years on there. Im quite sure they will suffice for my purposes. =)

Now.. getting a nice ground sinebar ... Or a surface grinder..  :)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »
When I first started out hobby engineering I volunteered at a small local railway museum. It was an interesting place full of nice and knowleadgeable people but I had some trouble with the guy running the show.

But man, they had a cargo container out the back that was just jammed full of these kinds of things. Supposedly alot of businesses donated the stuff, but they had no use for near all of it and it just got mothballed.

I'm always tempted to go back to that museum, but I figure it won't take long till I get intro trouble over nothing again. One guy got upset at me for doing a job too quick, he thought I was lying when I told him i'd finished and blew his top when I said it wouldn't hurt to apologise. The boss man himself got really upset when I told him I'd volunteered to have fun, becuase he couldn't understand the idea of somebody enjoying work. I guess it only takes a couple of people to ruin an otherwise great thing.

Offline Ooompa

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:52:37 PM »
One guy got upset at me for doing a job too quick, he thought I was lying when I told him i'd finished and blew his top when I said it wouldn't hurt to apologise. The boss man himself got really upset when I told him I'd volunteered to have fun, becuase he couldn't understand the idea of somebody enjoying work.

"Control Freaks" - they can spoil a good gig in seconds. I have no time for them.

Back on topic, I bought a lovely height guage from my local second hand shop - not as grand as yours - but I only gave a tenner for it so I don't feel robbed:-)
graham.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
I would actually like a digital one.. but finding a good brand digital height gauge without getting robbed in the process is prob. not likely. Unless im getting crazy lucky one day.. But this have sufficed.. made some parts for my DRO's this weekend and its a really nice to have when you need to be accurate. =)

Offline Pete49

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »
Looking at the height gauge I can see a problem with it. It seems to be weighted to us in the southern hemisphere so I would suggest you pack it up and send it to me and I will calibrate it for you. It will be a time consuming job but I'll get it finished for you though it may take a few years :lol:
Nice finds
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 03:09:17 AM »
Its strange, RobWilson said something similar when i found a slotting head for my Aciera F3 mill.. ;)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 03:47:10 AM »
I would actually like a digital one.. but finding a good brand digital height gauge without getting robbed in the process is prob. not likely. Unless im getting crazy lucky one day.. But this have sufficed.. made some parts for my DRO's this weekend and its a really nice to have when you need to be accurate. =)

I've won a Mitutoyo 30 inch digital one on eBay recently at a reasonable price. Problem is the seller is a pain in the neck, and we are now in the third week and it's not arrived. Raised an eBay 'case' which has at least now  prompted a response claiming it'll be with me on Wednesday - I wait to be convinced

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:57:47 AM »
exactly one of those ive been looking for.. i dont really like ebaying from private persons though.. to much scams on there.
There should be an item escrow.. giant warehouse somewhere..

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:36 PM »
Well it arrived today. White van courier, pulls out a loosely bubble wrapped object - you guessed it, it doesn't work  :bang:

Now I've gone though eBay and the seller has issued a full refund, but what a terrible waste of a lovely instrument  :( :(
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 01:44:58 PM »
Is that all pagagin it had? I'll be damned. I have bought some fly rods and even if they had their own tube, norm is to put them inside heavy walled PVC pipe (drain pipe or something) and fill the whole thing imobilized and plug both ends, before covering it with parcel tape.

That pagaging looks intentionally bad. DOA. Maybe had only a lemon and tried his luck?

Damned shame anyway.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 01:56:14 PM »
Yes that thought did pass through my mind. It's all rather depressing as potentially it was a nice bit of kit. Not sure what the seller has gained by this rigmarole as he's coughed up a full refund.

At the very least it should have been in a stout cardboard box, but personally I'd have knocked up a plywood crate for it. What make me even more sad, is that my first message to him after the auction ended was 'please pack it well as it's a delicate instrument' - he certainly took note of that  :bang:

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 05:07:01 PM »
im betting he didnt know what he was selling.. to begin with.. :bang:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »
I have a cunning plan.  :ddb:

It looks as though I will be left with the remains. The basic mechanics look to be ok, it's the display and button box that seems broken, but the quadrature encoder that is geared to the upright rails looks to be ok. So the basic accuracy remains if I can interface the quadrature encoder to something. It just happens that the box of electronics is pretty well the same size as an Arduino 2560 which I have unallocated. Tonight I've ordered a 16x2 lcd shield for it so it may rise from the ashes as a Frankenstein Mawson / Mitutoyo monster  :lol:

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 03:23:46 AM »
Arduino + LCD display could most likely read the interface from the old electronics.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 08:18:26 AM »
I can't  believe that package, it is the worst I have ever seen. Hope the mods work out for you after all the hassle.

Cheers David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »
Wasn't good was it  :bang:

I very rarely leave negative feedback for people on eBay as usually mistakes are genuine and can be corrected, but in this case I felt that I had to reluctantly to warn others. However it seems I'm not alone - his score is plummeting as others have had similar experiences recently. When I bid he had no negatives at all.

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 04:28:58 PM »
Wasn't good was it  :bang:

I very rarely leave negative feedback for people on eBay as usually mistakes are genuine and can be corrected, but in this case I felt that I had to reluctantly to warn others. However it seems I'm not alone - his score is plummeting as others have had similar experiences recently. When I bid he had no negatives at all.

Andrew

I wouldn't be surprised if theres some sorts of third party services or systems out there to boost people's seller score. When I started making Youtube videos I was telling a fella about it and he got real keen on signing me up on some strange websites that'd get my videos loads of fake views and likes. It took me a while to convince him that I wasn't interested. He was a strange but interesting guy, worked in internet marketing and was all excited about things like pryamid schemes and spam bots.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if theres some sorts of third party services or systems out there to boost people's seller score.

Try an ebay search on 1p.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 05:20:13 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if theres some sorts of third party services or systems out there to boost people's seller score.

Try an ebay search on 1p.

Russell

Well there you have it...