Author Topic: De Valliere H140 Lathe  (Read 18661 times)

Offline Depaugie

De Valliere H140 Lathe
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:50:49 AM »
Hopefully here are photos of my French Lathe.
Ooops I don't seam to be able to post photos the attach 'choose file' is not accessible?
Not too sure whare to post this newbie ??

Offline Pete W.

Re: De Valliere H140 Lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 04:06:45 AM »
Hi there, Paul,

I originally had difficulty posting photos  :scratch:   :scratch:   :scratch:  lots of us do at first but help is at hand.   :thumbup:   :thumbup:   :thumbup: 

Go into the 'Gallery' section - there's a thread there that tells you how to do it.  I particularly suggest that you note what it says about re-sizing photos, FastStone resizer is a free download and is very easy to use once you've explored it and tried it out.  It's more than just a resizer - it enables you to add captions and watermarks to your photos.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
I tried unsuccessfully to use that photo uploader you mentioned Pete W.
As i am using a Mac, it won't work.
I havent had much luck with photo bucket either.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:00:31 PM by dsquire »

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »
Depaugie,

here is some info on your lathe, looks like a nice machine!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/devalliere/page2.html

Regards, Matthew

Offline Pete.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:36:24 PM »
That is a cracking looking machine. I had never heard of it before - where did you find it?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
Reading the write up on Tony's site it seems that you've got yourself a little gem there, the designers look to have spared nothing to produce a worthy lathe.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 04:08:26 PM »
Looks good,  had to smile at the big ass panic button never seen one that size, what are the levers on the end for?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
From Tony's site it seems that the tailstock barrel can be advanced by either a wheel, or by a set up like a turret or capstan  lathe, and those knobs sticking out at the end seem to be the capstan handle.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 05:04:01 PM »
Thanks I am chuffed with it.
Yes  it has much the same specs as a Colchester Chipmaster, except it has a whole lot more.

I picked it up off an engineering firm in Waterford south east Ireland, he had bought a job lot but he had no need for it as it was way too small for his work.

At the moment I am in the process of fitting 3kw motor 3ph, 220v to 3ph inverter and a resistance brake.

I have 68 'AMALA which is a very light oil like 32, for the headstock and TACHUS 68 (heavy) which is for the gearbox and carriage.
I suppose its trail and error till I get the oil right, any one got  some advise?
 I am still trying to figure out lever controls especially the surfacing/sliding, it might get easier when I get to change the oil and filters.

Looks good,  had to smile at the big ass panic button never seen one that size, what are the levers on the end for?
Tom, the fat ass button is now gone.
levers on the end of the carriage ? the large one is to engage the leedscrew and the small one is for magnetic tension on the leedscrew stops.
there is a flat bar that that runs the length of the bed and it has moveable stops.

From Tony's site it seems that the tailstock barrel can be advanced by either a wheel, or by a set up like a turret or capstan  lathe, and those knobs sticking out at the end seem to be the capstan handle.
yes your right awemawson, I just placed the turret arm into the bed end while I was moving the lathe.
Maybe That was what Tom meant   by the levers?

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 05:20:42 PM »
Depaugie,

here is some info on your lathe, looks like a nice machine!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/devalliere/page2.html

Regards, Matthew

Thanks mattinker.
In the introductions you said you were on a French machining forum, would that be 'Usinages' ?

I cant count the hours I have spent on Usinages, however my French is non existent and google's translate
is probably accurate but I would need medication if I stayed at it too long.

there are some very talented guys on there, I did extract a lot of info from the photos and the text.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »
Depaugie,

yes, it is "Usinages". I can't imagine Google's translate being much good! It's a great forum, I had a quick look for your lathe on it, most of what I'd found were about older models, ironically, they put me onto Tony's page, complaining about it being in English! I was surprised not to find a manual there. It really looks like a machine I'd like to own! I'll keep an eye open for in formation for you.

Regards, Matthew

Offline mattinker

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »
Depaugie,

me again, I imagine you've already seen this

http://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/t1581-de-valliere-h140#10562

There are a few manuals, all in French.

Regards, Matthew

Offline Jonny

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
Nice find there with some useful additions over the Harrison 11"/140 and Colchesters its based on.

Like the capstan idea, really could make use of that along with the screwcutting quick draw.

One thing I couldn't make out, has this got a clutch top of headstock?

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »
Depaugie,

me again, I imagine you've already seen this

http://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/t1581-de-valliere-h140#10562

There are a few manuals, all in French.

Regards, Matthew

Hi Matthew
I have an English  manual  although Iam not sure if it is complete the last page shows the bearing sizes/refs.

I 6no change gears + 2no mounted on the gearbox banjo, is that the complete set?

At the moment  I have so many questions and more to come as I discover what does what!
That's part of the fun.
I will still look in on 'Usinages' as they have so much on this mark.

Nice find there with some useful additions over the Harrison 11"/140 and Colchesters its based on.

Like the capstan idea, really could make use of that along with the screwcutting quick draw.

One thing I couldn't make out, has this got a clutch top of headstock?

Hi Jonny,  that feature of the quick draw tailstock was what drew to this machine.
I had being thinking along the lines of a lever action tailstock, I had put one on a ML 7 years ago, great addition.
About the clutch, I am not sure, but I don't think so.
I just got it wired up last nite, but it's running at full speed as I need to add a potentiometer to slow down the primary speed, the motor is 2 pole.
Sorry all of my posts seam to go on a bit, that's probably just me.
Regards Paul

Offline mattinker

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 05:26:43 AM »
I 6no change gears + 2no mounted on the gearbox banjo, is that the complete set?

I had a quick look at the manual, it ends on lubrication with a supplement for the motor wiring.

Tell me how many teeth there are on the gears or take a smaller photo (change the resolution in your camera to around 600 x 800 ish) and I'll ask on "Usineages"

I'd pay the transport from Ireland if there was another one of these!! What a find, you've made me so jealous having me go through the manual!!

Regards, Matthew

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
Depaugie

In regards to the post from "mattinker"  and the photo he requested of your lathe. Go ahead and take a photo and don't worry about the size for now. Just post it the same as you did the first photo's and I will reduce them in size when I spot them. Mean while we are looking to see what can be done for Mac users to reduce photo sizes before posting.

Hope this helps.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline mattinker

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
Hi dsquire,

I suggested changing the image size on the camera as that's how I do mine, no resizing to do, although I do know how to do it, it's one step less!

Regards, Matthew

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
Hi dsquire,

I suggested changing the image size on the camera as that's how I do mine, no resizing to do, although I do know how to do it, it's one step less!

Regards, Matthew

Matthew

Thanks for the reply. I realise that the camera can be set for smaller images. For some that is a good solution. For others it may no be. For me I shoot them as large as the camera allows. That way I don't have to keep changing the camera settings (or forget to change them). If need be I can zoom in on some detail and blow it up and still see good detail. Any photos that I want resized I can run through FastStone Photo Resizer in just a few seconds and they are ready to go. I am hoping to find something like this for the Mac as well.  :D :D

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »
Depaugie

If you follow this link http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=9170.0 you will find some help for resizing your photo's on the Mac. There may be other ways as well and when we find them they will be included there as well.  :D :D

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
Hi Don,
I had posted my difficulties on 'how do I' and VTSTREAM had suggested another solution, so between all of these something should work hopefully.
sorry to be such a drag, I haven't even gotten started.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 01:44:24 AM »
Hi Don,
I had posted my difficulties on 'how do I' and VTSTREAM had suggested another solution, so between all of these something should work hopefully.
sorry to be such a drag, I haven't even gotten started.

Depaugle

Your not being a drag, far from it. Even though your half a world away we want to treat you like our next door neighbour and make your time spent at MadModder as enjoyable as possible. I noticed the post that Steve (vtsteam) made and hope that it will work for you.

If it does perhaps we could write up a how-to for others that may have the same problems with a Mac in the future.  :D :D

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:10 PM »

I had a quick look at the manual, it ends on lubrication with a supplement for the motor wiring.

Tell me how many teeth there are on the gears or take a smaller photo (change the resolution in your camera to around 600 x 800 ish) and I'll ask on "Usineages"

I'd pay the transport from Ireland if there was another one of these!! What a find, you've made me so jealous having me go through the manual!!

Regards, Matthew
Hi Matthew,
Thanks for your kind offer!
I took some photos of the change gears and have their sizes as well.
It  does not look like they were used much as the finnish on 120 & 127 gears (which were together on the banjo) was very clean.

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 01:19:52 AM »
 :doh:
not sure if this will work.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:56 AM »
Depaugie,

Yes it worked, I'll post them on "Usinages."

Regards, Matthew.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 04:32:57 AM »
Hi again,

here's my post to "Usinages"

http://www.usinages.com/post651178.html#p651178

From what I can see, there compiling a list of De Devalliere owners, a photo of the makers plate and some information about where you are might be appreciated.

Regards, Matthew