Author Topic: Denford Orac (non project)  (Read 6942 times)

Offline redshift

Denford Orac (non project)
« on: October 08, 2013, 02:29:44 PM »
Thought you guys might be interested to see how weak willed I am.

All of the following happened after I had told myself NO NEW PROJECTS until I had finished some of the existing ones.

Just over a week ago I went out to buy some fibreglass resin and Gelcote, I happened to call in at the olde world machinery dealer where I bought my Bridgeport and some other bits of old cast iron machinery.
He has had this Denford Orac kicking about in a corner for at least 6 years, it was there when I got the Bridgeport. It was covered in dust and was covered in surface rust other than the bedway which looked OK.
  I had kept my eye on it on all my previous visits but not given it too much thought, anyway after looking round and seeing nothing of great interest, I was about to leave when the dealer said " you can't go without buying something", I don't know what came over me and I gave him a STUPID bid on the Orac, He added £20 to save face and I bought it.
Half an hour later it was in the back of my Mondeo hatchback and I am driving home convincing myself it will be a great project for me and my lad to upgrade to Mach3.

I arrived back home and unloaded it with my engine crane, assembled the cabinet/stand and gave it a coat of looking at.
It looked  complete and reasonably good  nick the initial problems I found were:-
1) E stop was busted
2) Perspex guard was missing a couple of bits to slide on
3) No data cassettes.
4) The calculator on the front panel didn't work.

So next step was to fit a switch to replace the E stop, oil the ball screws and plug it in.
Bingo!! the screen lit up and a few relays clicked. Now what to do? I had no idea so I faffed about with few reset buttons (2under the front panel and on  the cross slide) and before long I had the chuck spinning and the
X and Z axis under manual control.
 Time to educate myself now so onto the Denford website nnd download some info.
While I was reading through the info I decided to fettle the lathe into tidy nick so I removed the chuck, which was a little stiff to operate, along with the compound slide and multifix tool holder and tailstock. All were dismantled and given the derust treatment, then glass bead blasted, oiled and re assembled.

Time to try a programme, Entered a programme on the keyboard and did a fresh air run, bloody hell it worked apart from the programmed speed changes to the spindle didn't.

Time to investigate, spun the lathe 90 degrees on it's cabinet and dropped the back cover down, removed the headstock end cover to reveal the speed encoder. In the back are 6 or 7 diagnostic led's and one was not working, it was the speed control one.
Had a fiddle with the multimeter and came to the conclusion I didn't know what I was doing so adjusted the speed / sync pick up on the spindle encoder and hey ho the led light up.
Typed in the programme again (remember no cassettes) and fired it up and it works like a dream.
So now you can see why it's a non project, it all works, and I just need some means of saving programmes now.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Denford Orac (non project)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »
I converted one about 7 years ago to TurboCNC as Mach wasn't very stable then. Wrote routines for the mickey mouse tool changer that mine came with and it all worked well. I kept the original steppers and spindle motor but drove the spindle from an inverter drive using 10-0-10 analogue from a D  to A converter.

Was an interesting project and I learnt a lot, but I found that it was rather under powered and the chuck not being easily interchanged was a pain. Sold it with a view to getting something a bit bigger.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline redshift

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 02:58:45 PM »
Andrew, did you ever use it in it's original state, if so what extra could you do with it after converting to TurboCNC?
It seems a shame to knock it to bits while it's still working unless there are big benefits to be had.
Regards
Dave

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
Redshift

I guess if you want a project that doesn't take much time you can't beat this one. Now you are going to have to put it to work making widgets while you get some of your other round2its done.  :lol: :lol:

Glad to see that it was quick and painless for you. I'll be watching this to see where it leads. :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline redshift

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
Don, Once I have found a way to store the programmes I have a couple of simple projects (karting related) to have a go at.
We will have to see how it goes.
Regards
Dave

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 03:25:10 PM »
No the controller was u/s and not worth fixing so it wasn't hard to decide to convert it. TurboCNC allows you to insert your own code so I was able to put a few bells and whistles on it  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 12:14:45 AM »
Looks really nice and it cleaned up well.  What did you use to clean up the chuck with?  Did you blast it with glass beads too?

Dale P.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 03:41:09 AM »
A nice find, and very well done, HOWEVER ...

Thought you guys might be interested to see how weak willed I am. ......

May I suggest you start saving, and applying for planning permission for a suitably large workshop, as based on Andrew's escapades experience,

......Sold it with a view to getting something a bit bigger.

that Orac might eventually grow into something like a Traub !

Dave

Offline redshift

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 04:47:16 AM »
Andrew, I have decided to keep this as is for now so I guess I will have to find another CNC project for me and Danny (my lad)

Dale P,  The chuck was dismantled and all the small burrs and rough edges were removed with needle files, it was then de-rusted in citric acid (it was only surface rust) and followed by glass bead blasted, I love the silky feel after glass beading.
graphite grease to the inside and waxoil to the outer surfaces.
It now runs as smooth as silk.

DMION, Dave,  Funny you should mention TRAUB cnc machines as tomorrow I am helping my mate to install the first of 2 Traub laser cutting machines. These babies are monsters they are bigger than my whole workshop, I could put a few pictures up if you are interested.

Regards
Dave

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 05:59:57 AM »
Well I went from the Orac to the Eagland Chipturn - it was all a very good learning experience and in the end proved surprisingly profitable despite not having had any intention of selling them when they were done. With me it's the challenge of finding out how to do these things !

Mind you it is a bit worrying if you project the growth in weight. Orac at maybe 70 kGs, Chipturn at 750 kGs and then the Traub at 4040 kgs. So I reckon that'd I'd better stop while I'm ahead  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 09:49:28 AM »
Mind you it is a bit worrying if you project the growth in weight. Orac at maybe 70 kGs, Chipturn at 750 kGs and then the Traub at 4040 kgs. So I reckon that'd I'd better stop while I'm ahead  :lol:

Yeah, right.....!

Would you put Mrs. Mawson on so we could speak to her please, now Andrew?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
Get thee behind me satan  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex