Author Topic: Rust on my rounds....  (Read 6873 times)

Offline ieezitin

Rust on my rounds....
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »
Gentlemen..

i purchased on Ebay a little set of Gage Blocks, when i opened the box some were found to be a little rusty, cannot complain only paid $20 including shipping, anyways i digress some have little rust blotches on and it interferes with the fit and the overall size as well as you can imagine, is there a way to remove the build up of the rust that will eat it away and leave just the ground block intact, i know i will still have pits but i don't really care i am just trying to make these useful.

Just a thought....... suggestions??

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Sid_Vicious

Re: Rust on my rounds....
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »
There are some different ways to remove rust. You can use citric acid or apple vinegar. Others will chime in with other methods, but a googlesearch on rust removal came up with a bunch of different ways to do it. Here is one address http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Rust-from-Metal
Hope it helps Sid
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline TLGriff

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Electrolysis would be the safest method. It will remove the rust without removing any metal or causing any scratches.

Just mix a little washing soda and water in a plastic or glass container, then attach the positive lead of a battery charger to a piece of sheet steel, the negative lead to the gauge block and submerse both in the water. When you turn the charger on you'll some a little bubbling from the rust spots as they dissolve.

Tom

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:07:02 AM »
I'd actually suggest citric acid rather than electrolysis in this case, as for electrolysis you need to connect to each item whereas with citric acid they just need immersing. The citric acid will not harm the un-rusted metal.

On no account use phosphoric acid which is offred as a rust remover, as the resultant iron phosphate will remain on the block increasing it's dimension, whereas iron citrate is water soluble.

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
I might be wrong about this, but I think that the electrolysis method actually converts the rust back to base metal, while acid methods remove it leaving depressions where the rust was. Also, I think that acid does remove clean metal from the entire object, only at a slower rate, depending on the metal and the acid. That's how etchings are made.

While neither of the above (if true) is important in just cleaning up many tools or metal stock, it might be more important for something like gage blocks. If untrue, then please ignore.....

I have thought about how, using electrolysis small objects like bolts etc might be more efficiently de-rusted. If they are laid on a plate which serves as the anode, immersed in solution, I think it might work.

I have also already tried a towel wetted in washing soda solution with a cathode plate over to remove surface rust from the top of my mill table and it worked well. Perhaps the reverse might also work -- a cathode plate, a towel -- or several layers of towel, the gage blocks, and then another plate for an anode. If the blocks are relatively similar in thickness the towel might make up for the height difference.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »
I left some old and rusty wrenches beyond saving in white vinegar and one in citric acid for weeks as an experiment once, and the vinegar ate more metal than the citric acid did. So my suggestion would be a short time and some fine steel wool to get rid of the rust...
It is my hope that during the winter I will have time to begin experimenting with elektrolysis as it is my understanding it only removes rust and nothing else. And I liked the idea of the soaked towel to use on the mill or lathe. 
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline loply

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:39:47 PM »
I'm no expert but as a layman I would be concerned about electrolysis warping the parts.

I know it causes strange processes to happen inside the metal, and can cause parts to become brittle.

Whether this is at all relevant to gauge blocks I couldn't say, but I'd shy away from it unless I was sure.

Maybe try one, and see if it warps at all?

Offline TLGriff

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
I'm no expert but as a layman I would be concerned about electrolysis warping the parts.

I know it causes strange processes to happen inside the metal, and can cause parts to become brittle.

Whether this is at all relevant to gauge blocks I couldn't say, but I'd shy away from it unless I was sure.

Maybe try one, and see if it warps at all?

Are you referring to hydrogen embrittlement? That is only an issue with high carbon steel parts under stress. If a gauge block is put under enough stress to break it, then perhaps electrolysis should be applied to the user.   :)

Besides, it sounds like we are only dealing with a few specs of corrosion here, any more than that and the gauge blocks will be toast anyway.

Tom

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 08:39:43 PM »
Brew up a strong cup of tea and place one of the blocks in it over night.This method works on removing rust on watch parts.

Joe