Author Topic: Aldi multipurpose saw  (Read 6582 times)

Offline drmico60

• mikesworkshop
Aldi multipurpose saw
« on: September 06, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
Aldi are selling their multipurpose saw from Sunday 8 September for £29.99. I bought one of these a while back and it is excellent for cutting sheet materials including mild steel up to al least 8 mm. There is a short review on my website:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/work-zone-multi-purpose-saw.html
I have no connection with Aldi except as a satisfied customer.
Mike

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Aldi multipurpose saw
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
Oh that's interesting. I've just spent the last few days making a 'foot' for an aldi angle grinder I'd just bought, so I could ride it along a fence to cut 2mm steel sheet. I was using a jigsaw at first and the blade was deflecting a full 10 degrees (the blade itself was bent about 45 degrees by the time I noticed it was wandering). I'm not really sure what jigsaws are supposed to be good for. I guess they're okay for rough cutting mdf and plywood.

I might get one of these to avoid the grinder dust flying everywhere in future. Thanks for bringing it to attention. I wonder how it'd handle cutting 30x3mm square box section steel...

Offline micktoon

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
Thanks for posting :thumbup: , it looks like a handy thing to have in the shop , amazing to see its not made in China too, that makes a change !.

Cheers Mick

Offline Deko

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »
 "not really sure what jigsaws are supposed to be for"  How about cutting 1" thick ally, as the pics below show.   :thumbup:

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:35:38 PM »
The Aldi by us (in the states) doesn't sell anything that cool. Mostly just food.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:15:16 AM »

The Aldi by us (in the states) doesn't sell anything that cool. Mostly just food.
Yeah, but you got that other place that's like Aladdins cave........Now what is it called?  :scratch:

Oh I remember.  Harbor Freight

....What a place that is....Tool heaven.... :clap:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »
I suspect it's worth buying a few of those blades at that price... I use an Evolution Rage Pro blade in the milling machine - unlike a slitting saw you can run it up to a couple of thousand RPM and it just ploughs though whatever you throw at it (it does need lubricating on a mill....). The only thing you really have to watch for is the white-hot chips it generates, and the noise is indescribable (wear ear protectors).

The blade shown on the Aldi page looks to have a fair number of inserts on it (more than the Rage Pro blade), I assume this means even more aggressive feed rates could be sustained...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 04:37:32 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on the Aldi saw, got spare blade also while I was at it @ 7quid, very good value and guaranteed for 3 years too.

Whilst in town (Grimsby), I visited Halfords for some car spray paint, got that but also spotted what I think was a brilliant deal on tool chests.

They're offering an Industrial 6 drawer tool chest on castors for 350quid, but also throw in another 6 drawer top chest worth 250quid for free.

Couldn't resist it, but hell they're heavy...

They're also offering 25 combo spanners that look like Snappy ones, for 50quid I did resist that though, don't really need many more, but @ 2quid a spanner it's a good deal....
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »
Got one of these saws today. I was expecting more hot chips and noise but the thing cuts real clean and quiet. No spare blades at the Aldi I visited though so i'll have to try another on tuesday.

Offline JohnC

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 05:46:23 AM »
Damn you MadModder!  I was passing our local Aldi and would have driven on, but having seen this thread I thought I would just look in.......
Well, you know the rest.  :lol:
And I needed some tomatoes anyway.....

John
John C
York, UK

Offline Deko

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »
I think we all understand how a Yorkshireman feels about spending money John, :poke: but the pain will soon go and you will still have a nice new plaything :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Cheers Dek. :med: