Author Topic: Disapointed  (Read 8334 times)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Disapointed
« on: August 28, 2013, 05:54:06 PM »
Forums are marvellous places, you can learn so much, 'meet' interesting people and share common goals but occasionally you get one dip $hite in the barrel.

No names, no pack drill but today unpacked some gear I loaned to a forum member only to find that some items were missing and some had been swapped for different spec items.

Had the stuff on the shelf for a while and only unpacked it today as I wanted to get on with a project. Not high value items but it's the fact that this wasn't a genuine mistake.

Certainly make me think twice for now on and I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the guy concerned in case I can return the 'favour' in any way.

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline tekfab

Re: Disapointed
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 06:07:59 PM »
Mm, yup, that does tend to skew your view on human nature. Sorry to hear about it John, i hope you contact the said person and sort it out.

Mike

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
I know how you feel John, I am a bit long in the tooth now, and although a newbie to this hobby, I have over a life time built up a good collection of tools and machines, and have always tried to help out. But like you, have been pissed off when "a" I have had to repair them when returned, and "b" they are not been returned, an I have forgotten who I loaned them to. http://madmodder.net/Smileys/default/BangHead.gif

John

Offline Rubes

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
Yep...same old story here. I keep telling myself never again...then someone asks and I say "well they never screwed me so why would I not help them out". Only to be painfully reminded why not...but then the next guy...and on and on and on... :bang: :bang: :bang: I have even had to re-buy tools I lost this way cause I forget just like Fredbare. But I am getting better about saying NO.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 02:23:45 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I KNOW the feeling, I's like such a royal pain....

I have a friend that I loan tools. Mostly carpentry/building powertools. I'll get them back cleaned usually with some extra consumables, if he wears out any. Then again I help him when he calls and he comes on rescue when I need help.

Sometimes people I never met in person are very reliable, but generally there are no warranty on people. If I need a warranty I buy a toaster :lol:

Pekka

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 03:43:22 AM »
So sorry to hear that John.  :(

As Mrs Drillin often reminds me. "They're not all as soft as you"........

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:06:53 AM »
Sorry to here this, it's a very difficult one John. Can't name and shame as it drags the forum down yet you want to protect other members from a similar fate.

I had a vaguely similar thing with a member. He was advertising wanting an item. I responded but told him in my opinion the one I had hadn't been particularly well made. He said he'd been offered another one at a certain price and what did I want for it. Somewhat less than the other one said I. Then he said he'd buy both and put the one that proved to be worse on eBay. OK I sold it, didn't charge him postage and he had the cheek to complain the one he got from me wasn't very well made and could he have a discount  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Needless to say I told him to sling his hook !

One can only hope that the chap you had issues with reads this post and learns by his mistake. I genuinely try to treat people as I would like to be treated myself, and 99% of the population responds . . .  then there's the 1%  :hammer:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 04:33:17 PM »
Bad luck John, the situation shows a lack of integrity on the part of someone who has been done a favour, and has not returned it.
I usually find that if I borrow anything I have to fix it before I can use it, and if I lend anything I have to fix it when I get it back! Lately I have begun to suspect that people offer to lend me things they know need fixing ;-)
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »
Shame that
It tends to spoil things a bit for other people
I once lent out a sander it came back with no plug on it  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
John

lordedmond

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 03:12:05 AM »
Yes been bit myself

I am out a 14 pound sledge hammer, socket set, various woodworking tools and a lawn mower

Stuart

Offline tekfab

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 04:38:29 AM »
Shame that
It tends to spoil things a bit for other people
I once lent out a sander it came back with no plug on it  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
John

Thats a coincidence, I once lent someone a plug and it came back with a sander attached to it !   :bugeye:  :bugeye:  :bugeye:

Offline mosey

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
John,
Take heart...for every jerk like that one, there the great people on these forums like Steve Huck, Jo, Don, Bogs, and many others, who generously send things like gear stock, books, CD's, Hall Sensors, etc. to others just to help out.
Just remember that we are all focusing our thoughts on those ingrates, so when their lathe bearings mysteriously spin in the headstock, taps break off below the surface on CI, a tiny part drops into the black oblivion forever after 40 hours of machining, it is our their reward coming home.  :) :) :)
Mosey

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 09:22:21 AM »
Hi there, all,

Yes been bit myself

I am out a 14 pound sledge hammer, socket set, various woodworking tools and a lawn mower

Stuart

I've often been asked to lend my sledge hammer, sometimes the request is couched in a way that would make me look unreasonably mean to refuse!   :(   :(   :( 

The trouble has often been that the borrower thinks that using a sledge hammer is all about macho brawn and nothing else.  They take a huge swing and by the time the head is approaching the target it's exerting enough centrifugal force to make them over-reach.  The consequence is that instead of the head hitting the target, the contact is with the haft (or do I mean shaft or handle?).   :bang:   :bang:   :bang:   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 

I have had to replace that haft/shaft/handle more times than enough and the number of places that stock good quality replacement hafts/shafts/handles in the UK seems to get smaller by the minute!
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline SemiSkilled

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »
I have.two.tool kits one nice and shiny one horrible and full of drop forged crxxp bent screwdrivers blunt chisels, guess which one I lend out.  :wack:
You're right, it does look easy when its finished.

Offline geoff_p

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »
When I lodged with my Aunt and Uncle, I asked to use Uncle's spanners.  "Fine, but make sure to put them back in their proper places."  Which of course, I did.
Next week end my request was refused.  "Why?, I put everything back."  "Yes but it was dirty."
Since then if I have to borrow, I return the item(s) meticulously cleaned.
On a construction site in Shetland, many years ago, our oilskins were for ever getting nicked.  My mate solved it - across the shoulders he wrote "Stolen from (his name)"  I often do the same even now, for "portable" stuff - few people want to brand themselves a thief.

Geoff

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
There is a old saying
Two things you never lend out
"The Wife and The Car because they will come back F"%%$d"
John

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 05:02:15 PM »
All sorted now, well nearly.
Got two things returned, one I had forgotten about. Had to apologise to another guy as there was a lack of understanding from mainly my side but that's sorted.

Only thing now outstanding is the £50 owing from two years ago.
John Stevenson

Offline tekfab

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 02:37:10 AM »

Ah, money, now thats a whole different ball game.    :bang:  :bang:  :bang:

Offline kwackers

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 04:46:59 AM »
All sorted now, well nearly.
Got two things returned, one I had forgotten about. Had to apologise to another guy as there was a lack of understanding from mainly my side but that's sorted.

Isn't me! I paid you for that motor... (I'm sure I did  :scratch: )