Author Topic: Vintage Stanley tool  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Ashlyn Katarzyna

Vintage Stanley tool
« on: August 17, 2013, 10:59:49 PM »
Recently my buddy and I came into possession of a 40' storage container, filled with a ton (literally) of wood working tools. Among the mess of antique equipment was an old hand brace, hand drill, auger bits and something I can't find any info about. It works just fine but its hard to read any dates, says Made Stanley the rest is worn away only about 1% of plating is left.

I do not know a thing about it much less what its called? (or) What the approx date of manufacture is? 

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: Vintage Stanley tool
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:35:18 AM »
Hi Chad,

I think it is a lever-ratchet version of the brace for drilling wood - useful for driling against a wall or in a corner. I think it may be missing the closing nut/sleeve from over the jaws.

Dave

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:15:04 AM »
Hi Chad

DMIOM is right on. I used to use them for drilling holes through floor joist for cables .. obviously the gap is only some 14" ( 10" x 2" joists on 16" centres ) and a right balls-aching job it was. Used stub auger bits.
They were still made until a few years ago, Axminster had them IIRC.

Pic of newer version here:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=stanley+ratchet++brace&qpvt=stanley+ratchet++brace&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=151FA073DE5713C2D90CE41F5EDE7CB988D1BBAA&selectedIndex=83

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Ashlyn Katarzyna

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:05:52 AM »
So that explains the flat on the top wood handle.  Cool