Author Topic: Mini turntable for lathe  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Bangkok Mick

Mini turntable for lathe
« on: July 27, 2013, 01:58:52 AM »
I may have reinvented the wheel here but I have made a mini turntable for manufacturing small components such as pipe flanges and small flywheels etc. in the lathe or on a small drill press.

Fitted into a 4 jaw chuck at the desirable radius for drilling an of centered hole the turntable can be adjusted for 2, 3, 5, 6, 10, 15 & 30 hole patterns.

I have used the 30 tooth gear cog for thread cutting that came with the lathe and mounted it inside a 2 piece 35mm diameter aluminum body on a rotating brass shaft. The cog is screwed to one of the body components, the second side of the body can be locked by engaging grub screws in between the teeth of the cog to obtain the desirable hole pattern.

A homemade chuck also of aluminum that holds 12mm brass bar with 6 grub screws is also attached to on one of the body halves.

It may also be fitted to the lathe tool post with a drill bit mounted in the lathe chuck for producing “spokes” extending from the outside diameter of the bar.

Made from bar stock and a few spare screws I already had it cost nothing to product. I have drilled and threaded a couple of test flanges that fit together very nicely.

Cheers Mick

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Mini turntable for lathe
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 02:15:56 AM »
Mick.
I think that's called, "thinking outside the box"!  :bugeye:

Love it! Well done!  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline allanchrister

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »
Hi Mick,

From your forum ID it seems that you are in BKK.  If so, whereabouts, as I have recently moved there.  My wife is on assignment here with her embassy, and I have my small workshop (mini lathe and minimill) set up in a bedroom in our apartment on Sathorn.

If you are here, I would appreciate getting in touch to find out where you are getting your supplies (hardware) and raw material from.

Allan

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:17:05 AM »
Hi Allan,

I am just off of Naradhiwas Rd. walking distance from Central Plaza Ramma 3  so just a K or so down the road from you.

I get my tooling and material from China Town, this is also where I got my lathe a few months ago.

I can be more precise if I show you on a map.

Cheers Mick

Offline allanchrister

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 11:01:33 PM »
Hi Mick,

would be great if you could send me a map showing your recommended tools and supplies places.  I've also noticed driving around that there are a few used machinery places as well - lathes and milling machines standing around - are you familiar with these?

Might be better to take this discussion off-line - maybe not too many other madmodders interested in BKK.  contact me directly at (e-mail address removed for security......)

Cheers for now,

Allan
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:19:21 AM by allanchrister »

Offline allanchrister

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:23:15 AM »
Mick,

Thanks for the warning. You should have my e-mail address now, but I'd be happy to send you my phone number to establish contact.  I'd appreciate if you let me know when you plan your next workshop shopping trip.

Cheers,

Allan

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:37 AM »
Hi Allan,

I see your e mail was removed for security reasons by the forum so I have sent you mine via a private message. I am taking a couple weeks leave from work to enjoy the last of the summer holidays with my son and wife at home so a trip down China town to the tool shops would be on the cards. If you are in the mood we could go down together and I could show you the shops and street stalls I frequent for tooling and the street that has all the bar stock suppliers.

Cheers Mick