Author Topic: brane teser  (Read 4345 times)

Offline krv3000

brane teser
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:11:36 PM »
hi all i got this in a tool box full of stuff but i ant got a ? as to wat it wood be used for at furst i thort its a large set of feler gages but no all the blades are the sam thiknes see pic

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: brane teser
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:24:55 PM »
Hi Bob

If it's Rabone Chesterman I would guess it's for setting wood-butchering machinery.

Blade/ cutter height or the like 'cos joiners can't deal with anything more accurate than 1/32"  :palm:

I have a mate who's a joiner .... I occasionally make metal things for him ... absolute nightmare ..

33/64" is 'HALF-INCH FULL'   ???? What the Hell is that ???

Likewise 31/64" is 'HALF-INCH BARE' ??? etc. etc.

Dave BC

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
Hi Bob

If it's Rabone Chesterman I would guess it's for setting wood-butchering machinery.

Blade/ cutter height or the like 'cos joiners can't deal with anything more accurate than 1/32"  :palm:

I have a mate who's a joiner .... I occasionally make metal things for him ... absolute nightmare ..

33/64" is 'HALF-INCH FULL'   ???? What the Hell is that ???

Likewise 31/64" is 'HALF-INCH BARE' ??? etc. etc.

Dave BC

Dave

This may be more than you want to know but...  :smart:

Years ago I worked as a draftsman in a wood office furniture company. We used “full” or “shy” to indicate 1/64” tolerance.

We would always dimension the desk pedestal cases to have an opening of 15 3/4” full. This meant that the opening could be 1/64” over the 15 3/4” but under no circumstances could it be less than 15 3/4”.  The drawers were dimensioned at 14 ¾ “ shy. When the drawers and cases were assembled that would leave at least 1” to 1 1/32” of clearance. The drawer slides would work fine with this clearance. If it was anything less than 1” the drawer would  jam and have to be disassembled and the drawer sanded down.

Basically “full” or “shy” was a type of tolerance applied to something that was critical. You would only find that applied to the length of a wood part, not the width.  :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »
I was once upon a time many years ago a boatbuilder with a boatshop.

Y'see wood moves with moisture content, and age, and usage, and pollution, and finish, and eyeballih it crosseyed, not to mention throwing it into the ocean and askin it to cross the Atlantic 

So you can specify a cut to a tenth of a thou if yer wants to, and maybe even cut to that -- why not?

It's just that........... it ain't going to stay that way.

Now the real slackers are the surveyors.

They tell me I have sixty seven acres, "plus or minus".

They don't even bother to say what.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline micktoon

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 06:14:54 PM »
Hi Bob , I would say it will be for setting blade heights etc too, even if its not meant for that you could use it for that so handy bit of kit, another good find in your bargain tool box  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
i it will cum in handy

Offline micktoon

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:28:49 PM »
Bob , take it out when you go for a beer , it will be ideal for sorting out that rocky lag on the table just keep slipping the feelers under until its sorted ................. its worth a fortune  :beer:  :lol:

Cheers Mick