Author Topic: Buddys/Mentors ?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline tekfab

Buddys/Mentors ?
« on: July 23, 2013, 05:25:07 AM »
Inspired ( ? )  by recent posts both here and on another site it dawned on me just how daunting it must be for someone to stand in front of a machine for the first time. Certainly they can join places like this and ask questions but then they have to try and convert a written answer to action on a potentially dangerous piece of machinery.
So, what i was thinking how about we start a buddy or mentors list ? this would consist of people who had the experience and could spare some time to visit a newby and help/advise them while standing in front of a machine.
It's only an idea and i'm sure there will be plenty of who, why and what ifs  to be discussed and it might actually be a non-starter anyway but it's just a thought.
Fire away !

Mike Young

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Buddys/Mentors ?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:38:16 AM »
I think that it is an excellent idea - but we are very widely spread out which in many cases would make it impractical. Often there will be a local(ish) model engineering club that can help.

(I think that the nearest other member to me is about 25 miles away, but I stand to be corrected.)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tekfab

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 05:44:34 AM »
25 miles is pretty close ! i'm always fascinated by the distances our US cousins have to travel 5,6,7 HUNDRED miles to collect a machine !
Mike

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:05 AM »
aye - their Diesel doesn't cost what ours does !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex