Author Topic: Servicing and setting up my lathe  (Read 7215 times)

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
Servicing and setting up my lathe
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:54 PM »
Having been suitably inspired by members on this forum I find myself looking towards doing a bit of turning on my Boxford CSB lathe.

I am very conscious however that it is a fairly old machine with a somewhat unknown history, and although I have used it a few times myself and done some small modifications (motor, reverse switch etc) I really don't know much about it's internal condition and accuracy.

So before starting any projects I would like to check it out, I'm assuming I'll need to check the headstock bearings for wear, the ways, crosslide, leads crew etc.

Is there a guide on here for doing these checks?

Are there any other things I should be looking for?

Assume I'm a complete novice (because I am)  :scratch:
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline tekfab

Re: Servicing and setting up my lathe
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
What part of England are you in ? 
Perhaps a more experienced member lives close by and could give you a hand ?
Just an idea !

Mike

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »

I'm just outside Liverpool.

Ideally your suggestion would be best, but in the world of the Internet only a small percentage of members are going to be near me, and only a small percentage of those will have the time to help.

I'm fairly mechanical minded and willing to have a go myself, but was just hoping for some pointers from members who had already done similar checks.

Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »
Hi there, Bł,

There's an inspection routine for the Myford ML7 that might help you - some bits would definitely 'read across' to your machine.

If I can locate it in my 'filing system'   :bang:   :bang:   :bang:  I'll PM you with a link or a .pdf or whatever.

For lubrication, I guess you'll need something specific to your Boxford that includes a map to find all the lube points.

I had a quick look on the web - the Myford guide is available here  http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Used_lathe.html 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline ParCan

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
Hi.
I do not know the Boxford so take what I say here as Generic.

The chances are that the main bearings are fine.
If you really want to test , clock the outside of the spindle rotating by hand.
If it clocks within .01 mm and it feels free you are probably fine. Then clock the inside of the taper.
Run it up at various speeds, If it sounds rough then it probably is.

As for the rest, it's a case of finding the play and adjusting it out.

Start with an Oil Can. Drop the Cleaning strips off the Saddle (the Felt or cork wiper doofahs)
Put a bead of oil (anything fairly thin will do) between the Bed n saddle and try lift the Saddle - you will easily see any movement.
Then try the same by twisting it. You will soon get the idea....
Adjust the gib strips to allow free movement in the correct directions and all but eliminate any movement in every other direction.
The same goes for the Cross and Top Slide.

It will take a while but the results are well worth it. 
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert....

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
That would be great Pete w, thanks.

As for lube points, I think I've found all of them and do give them a regular oiling.

I guess what I'm really after is some checks to find out if there is any excessive wear anywhere, and how to adjust everything properly to make it as accurate as possible.

I have noticed that there is a bit of movement in the saddle if you try to lift it off the ways, is there somewhere I can adjust this? For instance...

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 04:05:15 PM »
Hi
You often get lift on the rear of a Boxford carrage it is just the way it was made
The lathe its self is very strong
This video shows how I lubricate mine
John

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »

Thanks John, I found that useful. The lift on the rear of the carriage was something I was a little concerned about, glad to hear its a normal quirk of the marque.

I found this also...

http://www.pulse-jets.com/boxford/boxford_know_your_lathe.pdf

It's a free PDF Boxford manual, an interesting read if you don't already have one.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
Another one to look for is how to run a lathe by South Bend , your Boxford is a direct copy and parts are inter c hangable with South Bend 9 inch lathes .
Jeff

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »

Well, I took the chuck off for the first time earlier (had the lathe three years and never knew how to get it off), the register and spindle was full of swarf. Then I separated the chuck and backplate and there was a ton of swarf (brass) between them. Must be from an earlier owner as I've never turned brass.

Looking at the chuck closely I think it's going to need a good clean so I'll have a search about for a how to.

Everything else just looks like it needs a good clean, is it ok to use Scotchbrite pads on the ways and slides? They are looking a bit stained and gummed up.

Offline ParCan

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »
Hi

Scotch brite is fine, don't go anything harder than that though or use power tools.

WD40 is great at removing all sorts of Gummy muck.

As for the chuck, a good clean will require either dumping the whole thing in paraffin or dismantling it.
Both ways are messy !

If it's full of brass can I suggest Barrier cream or Gloves and get any splinters you get in your fingers out.
For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert....

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »
I hear you.

Was wearing gloves, still got a splinter though :(

Thicker gloves needed me thinks

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 02:28:09 PM »

SNIP

Everything else just looks like it needs a good clean, is it ok to use Scotchbrite pads on the ways and slides? They are looking a bit stained and gummed up.

Hi there,

Scotchbrite is still abrasive so make sure you thoroughly clean away its residue.  I'd work on a small area at a time, then flood that patch with paraffin so as to bring any residue out into the open, wipe up the paraffin and re-oil.  (It's personal taste but I'm not a big fan of WD40 except as a water dispersant.)
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
I usually use naphthalene or acetone when cleaning machinery and then wipe it down with some old cotton sheets.. A thin layer of  multioil for protection from water and humidity and done.. I tend to do this everytime i swap between type of material i work with in the lathe.. Especially when machining aluminium cause i put all the alu swarf in a seperate bin for melting.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/