Author Topic: Vertex dividing head failing ???  (Read 4222 times)

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
Vertex dividing head failing ???
« on: July 09, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
I got this item second hand but problems with locking the head i given degreed.

I can see the head had been handled as a scrap part with some deep scars after hammering  :( - if I could get my hands on that .BEEP.  :hammer:

I think I'll make a new component of steel - I think no cast material would be a better solution - right ?  :med:

Click here for details: http://kelds.weebly.com/vertex-delehoved.html

Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline rotorhead

Re: Vertex dividing head failing ???
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
Hi Ksor,

I would have thought using steel might not be your best alternative, you see it all depends on what type of material your spindle is made of.

The part was made of cast iron for its bearing properties, surely a similar type of material would be best, if you don't want to use Cast Iron, why not try some Aluminium Bronze, it is a lot stronger than CI and still has its bearing qualities.

Just my couple of Denarius' worth...
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Hi Ksor,

I would have thought using steel might not be your best alternative, you see it all depends on what type of material your spindle is made of.

The part was made of cast iron for its bearing properties, surely a similar type of material would be best, if you don't want to use Cast Iron, why not try some Aluminium Bronze, it is a lot stronger than CI and still has its bearing qualities.

Just my couple of Denarius' worth...

Of course - you'r right about the bearing qualities  :doh:

I just thought the cast iron - with the actual dimensions here - is too brittle for reaching that clamping effect I want !

- maybe I can use my steel with a bronze bushing with a split in it  :med: ???
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
Hi Ksor,

Sounds like a good compromise..
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
Now I'm back on this project !

I have made a sketch/drawing but MAYBE I have some problems with that configuration:

1) will the bushing be fastened in the long run or will it loosen ?

2) because the bushing is PRESS FITED and then sawn at point B - will the two halfs then "pop out" and ALWAYS clamp the shaft (not drawn !)

Look here: http://kelds.weebly.com/vertex-delehoved.html last pair of Pictures !!!!

As always translation to the right under the menu line !
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »
... and now I finished the project: http://kelds.weebly.com/vertex-delehoved.html
Best regards
KSor, Denmark

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »
Ksor,

If you have problems with the steel not coming free when you release the clamp pressure, you could make the piece out of A-2 or O-2 stock, that is air hard or oil hard stock. 

Do all of your machining, then temper the stock and cool according to the stock type.  Draw the temper to a straw color and it will remove all brittleness.  The brass bushing should have enough residual spring in itself to release when the clamp pressure is removes.  To prevent the bushing from spinning, just drill and pin it in place with 1/8 brass rod, then ream/bore to final size.

It's always a shame when a good tool is abused.  I just shake my head at what people to to tooling.

Offline ksor

• Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:16:36 AM »
Ksor,

If you have problems with the steel not coming free when you release the clamp pressure, you could make the piece out of A-2 or O-2 stock, that is air hard or oil hard stock. 

Do all of your machining, then temper the stock and cool according to the stock type.  Draw the temper to a straw color and it will remove all brittleness.  The brass bushing should have enough residual spring in itself to release when the clamp pressure is removes.  To prevent the bushing from spinning, just drill and pin it in place with 1/8 brass rod, then ream/bore to final size.

It's always a shame when a good tool is abused.  I just shake my head at what people to to tooling.

Till now I've had no problems.

Thx for your advices - I'll remember IF I should get problems later  :beer: :beer:
Best regards
KSor, Denmark