Author Topic: Saddle stop  (Read 5306 times)

Offline mechman48

Saddle stop
« on: June 28, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »
Hi all  :wave:
Haven't posted much lately as have been busy titivating this & that rather than doing a 'project', you know how it goes  :scratch:
Have just made a saddle stop this past couple of days, nothing fancy, just out of ally' from the odds 'n sods shelf. Having measured the bedways found that there is not much landing to grip onto (on my WM 250 V-F), so decided to have it lock onto the edge of the bed way rather than mess about making a stepped separate clamp to go underneath.. no doubt I'll change it later on.. as one does  :scratch: Have att. pics which show steps in producing it, Squaring off, marking out, etc. Didn't have a long reach milling / 45* cutter so couldn't get the 45* vee  spot on so ended up scraping it to fit the bed, it does lock up tight enough though, simple but effective   :thumbup:

Cheers
George

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Saddle stop
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 08:14:49 PM »
Nice job George.  :nrocks: I need to do one of those myself.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 07:03:51 AM »
When the saddle go up against that will the drive disengage on its own??
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline mechman48

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 01:27:44 PM »
Hi NeoTech  :wave:
 Unfortunately it will not disengage the auto feed; the saddle configuration (see width in pic) on this machine is such that it would need major mods to the internals which I have no intention of doing. If it was a Myford (or similar) which has a very slim saddle then it would be feasible. No doubt someone would come up with a mod eventually (or already has ?)  :scratch:  but I'm certainly not considering it, so all I do is auto feed to within a mil or so off the stop, manually disengage feed then gently ease up to the stop. I do recall seeing a mod of this nature having been done on a mini lathe, but can't for the life of me remember where, maybe on another forum, maybe other members have seen it so possibly could direct you in the right direction  :scratch: Thanks for your interest anyhow  :thumbup:
Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »
Hi George,

On my little WM180, I managed a "semi-auto" stop which will disengage the half nuts. Maybe something similar would fit on your lathe.

http://andysmachines.weebly.com/semi-automatic-saddle-stop.html

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline mechman48

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 06:11:18 AM »
Hi Andy  :wave:
Thanks, that was the mod I was talking about;  :thumbup:  I'll read thru' more in depth & compare its feasibility for my WM250.
Cheers
George.
George.