The Shop > Our Shop

workshop insulation ?(& shop build diary)

(1/9) > >>

ja2on:
My workshop delivery is only a week away now  :ddb:
And I need some advise on insulating and panelling it out
It is a wooden workshop (shed) with some sort of plastic vapour barrier aprox 8' x 18' external
I have use of half as a workshop so it will have a insulated  partition wall and door in the centre

I have searched the interweb and have found nothing but conflicting advise  :bang:

Ideally I would like to use 75mm kingspan or celotex type insulation for the walls and roof (if I can afford it if not rock wool)
with thin ply for the roof and thicker for the walls (to support shelves and stuff)

on other forums people have been saying you need air gaps,  don't use ply use plaster board  :scratch:
I am confused

What can I do for the floor ?

John Hill:
Sorry, I cant comment on the walls and insulation as your climate and availability of stuff whould be quite different to here but for the floor I doubt many around here would not choose a cement pad.

bogstandard:
Jason,

What you have to be careful of is losing space. Unless you put the 75mm Kingspan between the uprights, you would automatically lose 6" on the width and length of your shop. I personally, because you have a vapour barrier already in, would plasterboard over the uprights and fill the gaps behind with Rockwool. Doing it that way would be a lot cheaper and also you would only lose about 1" in length and width, and the shop would be able to 'breathe'.

You have to be very careful when insulating a workshop, it needs to have some sort of ventilation, as even just being in there and breathing can cause major corrosion problems on machinery and tools, and any fossil fuel heaters, paraffin or gas, should be kept well away from the shop. They produce a lot of water vapour. I left my metal door uninsulated, and the very small gap around it keeps my shop bone dry.

My shop is a sectional concrete, and I stuck the plasterboard with built on 1" foam insulation straight onto the walls, after chasing out the back of each panel for electrical service cables, 1 double socket every four feet.

The floor will present a problem if it is just wooden planks. You will have trouble supporting heavy machinery without it going thru the floor. You can get around that by putting sheets of metal down to spread the loads. Also planked floors tend to be draughty, with the wind blowing up your trouser legs. If you are using a concrete floor, no problems. Either a cheap cushionfloor all over, or an industrial grade rubber matting where you will be standing will keep your feet from getting cold. I'm hard, and have no covering on mine, but it makes cleaning up a lot easier. Also, now I have an oil filled radiator in, that is on all the time during winter, I find the floor and shop a nice comfortable t-shirt working temperature.

The stud wall can just be plasterboarded with Rockwool in the cavity.

Not comprehensive, but I hope it helps.

John

HS93:
Have a look at this type of insulation , save on space and it works very well, there is anothere one made up of several layers that is better i think i will try and find a web address, have a look at the PDF's for some ideas.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50913?cm_sp=AOVDriver-_-Building-_-Doubleinsulation&ts=36319#

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37037/Building/Roofing-Insulation/Breather-Foil-for-Timber-Frame-1350mm-x-25m

Peter

ja2on:
Hi John

I was planning on insulating between the uprights and not on top

Rockwool sound good then as I doubt I can stretch to kingspan plus I want to be able to afford tools and a mill in the future
Wickes also have buy one get one free on rockwool at the moment

I believe the floor is 3 quarter inch osb which has a 3" air gap underneath
the demo shed floor felt plenty strong but I plan to add another layer for strength
I have a c4 lathe and plan for a mini mill or x3 so nothing huge is going in

My concern with plaster board was that I would knock holes in it as I am a clumsy bloke sometimes  :hammer:

jay

EDIT thanks peter I didn't know about that stuff
my other concern that I forgot mention is noise the shop will be quite close to our neighbours and I don't want to upset them

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version