Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Tubing bender

(1/10) > >>

Divided he ad:
Well it's about time I got off my ass and made something I suppose!!??

This is a side project that has been threatening for a while, it's all in order of completing my Aeolipile!! (yep I know.... About time!)

So here are a few photo's... I know, from the dates you can see I've been holding out on you.... I've been a little preocupied   :hammer:

I'm using a plan.... When I say using I'm basically using the bits I like.... I'm re-modeling the rest as I go  :)

Well, here they are..... Not my finest work.... But it's meant to be and will be functional  ::)

Start with some scrap...

faced off top using the saw cut as a datum ..... This was a seriously rough piece of scrap! I also made a little facing down the sides to allow parallel mounting for the wider faces, (the bottom one was done after this photo... it was remounted and the side cut first so the bed hadn't been moved) once the part was set up on these smaller cuts and the rough side faced it could be turned over and faced down far enough to remove them.

The block was mounted in the 4 jaw and a bit of reducing performed.... Free hand.... Not going to effect anything important. (edit... The numbers in circles are my machining order... 1 shape the part as seen, 2 drill and tep, 3 pivot hole and slots and finaly 4 the big slot... planning you see  :thumbup:)

The pivot hole was drilled and two holes for the end of the slots,(no DRO's at the mo.... Cold weather kills them!!) then the slot cut in the top only as far as required to pass into the path of the larger slot which is yet to be cut. The part was then turned over and the bottom slot was cut.

The larger slot is then cut, this shows the areas of the smaller slots and the pivot holes being exposed as material is removed. (1" end mill)

And here is the part completed.....

Now there was a lot of thought put into the machining process here... I held the solid block in the lathe first so that it was easy to machine.

The smaller slot and pivot holes were drilled and milled into the solid block to keep them in line. (if done after the larger slot when two bits of thinner metal they could flex under pressure at the ends.)

Then when the larger slot is machined it all comes into order, and now that the parts structure is weakened it's ok... You've already done all the little fiddly bits!

I''ve already made the base and clamp..... I'll be posting that later.... Else this would be a ginormous post!!

There are some small errors, but nothing that will prevent the tool from doing what it is designed for.... I'm ok with that, it's a tool.... not a display piece!

Hey it's not a total science.... Most of this home shop hobby is fun..... Well it is for me anyway  :thumbup:

Feel free as always to comment..... You'll comment more once you see the base!!  :doh:

Ralph.

bogstandard:
Ralph,

--- Quote ---There are some small errors, but nothing that will prevent the tool from doing what it is designed for....
--- End quote ---

You are not alone, but it is such an easy design it can just be modded on another part so it doesn't matter. Mine works a treat.

John

Twinsquirrel:
Looks good so far Ralph, what plans are you using?

David

Bernd:
HeHe, I see what you were doing that day.  :headbang:

I take it this going to be a "small" tubing bender. Probably call it more of a pipe bender.

Those side projects to get the main project moving can be time consuming. I'm working on a side project so I can finish up on that clamp plate for my indexhead.

Nice job by the way. I think I'm going to need one of those benders sometime down the road.

Bernd

Brass_Machine:
Nice start Ralph. Which design are you doing again?

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version