Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

The Artful Bodger tries to make something!

<< < (2/10) > >>

John Hill:
The Artful Bodger gets ready to try something scarey!

I need to cut a slot in the end of that bar,  the block of steel in the 4 jaw has a 'V' in it so the bar is securely located.

I have ground a HSS tool to cut the slot and tomorrow, if I can pluck up the courage, I will cut the slot,  I have 8 of these to do if it works out OK.

Obviously I have to take really fine cuts but what is the recommendation, dead slow or a few hundred RPM for this type of interrupted cut?

Stilldrillin:
Oooooh, John!  :jaw:

That look seriously scarey to me.   :bugeye:

I wouldn`t dig straight in........  :scratch:

Can you rough out the slot with a hacksaw, before turning?

Can you rough out with a milling cutter in the chuck, & the component in the toolpost?

Be very carefull....... Please!

David.

bogstandard:
Yes John, certainly scary.

It is not the plunge cut that will cause the problem, but the interrupted cuts. The lathe tool nose will take hell of a bashing.

I am not saying you are wrong, as you have no other way of doing it, just take your time and get ready for anything that happens all of a sudden.

It might go smooth as silk, and all our gum beating will be relegated to useless info.

Give it a go, but win or lose, let us know how you get on. Don't be afraid of failure, and boast about your successes.

John

Brass_Machine:
As Bogs said, just be extra cautious when you are doing this.

Eric

sbwhart:
Hi John

That looks like a brown trouser job.

Don't stand in line with the spinning job, stand to one side and slowly does it.

Good Luck and interested how you get on.

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version