Author Topic: VOIP/SIP Phones - HELP!  (Read 3296 times)

Offline sparky961

VOIP/SIP Phones - HELP!
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
A few years ago I switched from a land line (Bell Canada) to a fixed wireless phone through Rogers (Rocket Hub).  The phone service, albeit a little quirky from time to time was generally pretty good.  The Internet service, however, I can't say many good things about that.

I've just switched to Xplornet FW after finding it very stable with a number of years using it at work.  Along with this, I should now be able to use a VOIP/SIP phone to replace the fixed wireless one from Rogers.

BUT after doing some poking around online, I'm getting a bit flustered with the myriad of options and terminology out there (and this is from an educated Computer Engineering Technologist) and I just want something simple, economical, and reliable that will allow me to hook up a few "traditional" cordless phones through a VOIP adapter to an actual telephone number (the one I already have, plus a toll free number).

Can anyone help simplify my options?

Thanks..

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: VOIP/SIP Phones - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »
Sparky,

Magic Jack, the $40 one that plugs directly into your router rather than the $20 one that plugs into a USB port, works reasonably well.  We have had one of each for the 2nd line into our home.  The $20 one gets disrupted whenever the computer is used for anything connected to the internet.  The $40 one (Magic Jack PLUS, if my memory is still working) works quite well with very occasional glitching when the local internet gets really bogged down (i.e. too many people accessing the ISP's connection for the amount of fibre) -- which is pretty much limited to 8-10 AM on Saturday & Sunday mornings where I live.

We have had a standard wired desk phone and a 3-phone wireless system attached to our Magic Jack PLUS for about 2.5 years now.  It leaves the Comcast VOIP system free for my business calls during normal business hours.  At $20/year for service, it is a really good deal.

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 08:12:17 AM »
I can highly recommend the Siemens VOIP DECT wireless phones. I have a    Gigaset C470 IP which just works. I bought it from my VOIP service provider and use it at home for my business. The controller box is also connected to the land line.  For Outgoing calls, Holding the Green Phone button down give me the old fashioned POTS land line whereas a normal press dials out on VOIP. You can swap this order around if you like.

We have a separate DECT system for the home phone and I have seriously considered ditching it purchasing a couple more Seimens handsets. Great battery life, nice clear screen and a keypad big enough for man sized fingers to get to easily. Call quality is also outstanding and the handset has a good hands free too!
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline sparky961

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »
Thanks, helping to narrow things down a bit.