Author Topic: Tailstock Die Holder  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Tailstock Die Holder
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
iieHi Guys,
              This little tailstock die holder was one of my first lathe projects. It takes two sizes of dies outside dia. 13/16 inch, and 1inch. The thread being cut in the lathe is 1/4 inch M.E. using a very slow speed and cutting oil. This useful tool was all made on a small lathe, any one wanting to make this item who has not got any milling facilities please post, and I will show the simple setup that I use on the lathe.

Cheers David

Offline mechman48

Re: Tailstock Die Holder
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 06:17:10 AM »
 :wave: Hi all
Here's one I made earlier.. about 10 years ago, when I had my C500 combi, along with many other tools, it is double ended to take 13/16 & 1" dies, a bit on the heavy side but am looking at slimming it down. I used a MT2 taper from an old drill cut down & machined with a brass sleeve fitted for wear purposes, pic 3 shows an 'action' shot on the post when I was recently making a rear parting off tool post from a Hemmingway kit for my Warco 250V-F (usual disclaimer, have some pics if anyone interested):
Cheers  :headbang:

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 06:27:54 AM »
Hi George,
                 Double ended that is a good idea. My MT2 is from an old drill chuck, I never throw anything away.

Cheers  David

Offline DavidA

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 03:40:50 PM »
I suppose that most here are aware of the following,  but just in case someone isn't I'll point it out.

If you click on one of the above pictures it produces an enlarged version.  But if you click on the link it will open the picture via your picture editing software (Picasa Photo Viewer in my case) thus enabling you to enlarge to whatever size you want.  Very useful for looking at details.

Dave.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »
Dave,kewl tip ...thanks for that.. :bow:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors