Author Topic: Visiting London  (Read 7958 times)

Offline John Rudd

Visiting London
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:34:04 AM »
Off for a week down to the smoke.......'Err indoors wants to go on the London Eye...

So what else is there to see/do? Museums exhibits etc...

I've been to Kew Bridge steam museum so something else would fit in in its place...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Visiting London
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:57:32 AM »
You have a N A Harvard in your avatar so why not dear old Hendon?

RAF Museum and home for me 1948-50.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 06:32:58 AM »
Been there already........... :lol:

But thanks for the suggestion.......

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »
DON'T do the science museum, last of space, wide open spaces and one floor put over to green technology.

Thought it was suppost to be a museum ??
John Stevenson

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »
Hi John

Try , since your on the south bank ,

Get a river boat to Royal Observatory, Greenwich  , Cutty Sark is just as you get off the boat . http://www1.rmg.co.uk/

Or Imperial war museum http://www.iwm.org.uk/

Closer to the eye , is Tower bridge museum ,  or HSM Belfast ,,,,,,,, has a canny machine shop on board  :dremel:  http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/hms-belfast

Rob 

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »
Just had a weekend in London as Rob said Cutty Sark is well worth a visit her's a few pics

The British Museum have a real neat exhibition about Pompeii but you have to book tickets first you can do this online

We also went and had a look at the shard, thinking we'd like to go up, but the charge is stupid on the day £100 each advance tickets £30 each:- wee just stood at the bottom and looked up it.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:39:51 PM »
Stew , what did you think of the Cutty Sark ?    ,looks good ,,,,,,,, It was still being repaired when I was last at Greenwick .I was thinking of having a look this summer as were stopping off in London for a couple of days .

Rob

Offline mosey

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
I'll be there in September, then Oxford, then Cotswolds. Anything to see?
Mosey

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »
Stew , what did you think of the Cutty Sark ?    ,looks good ,,,,,,,, It was still being repaired when I was last at Greenwick .I was thinking of having a look this summer as were stopping off in London for a couple of days .

Rob

Hi Rob

Its well worth the visit, the actual display in the ship is more geared to children very informative about the tea and wool trade and tall ships, but the highlight for was what they did to display the ship, hoisting it up and suspending it like that was a real stroke of genius, I spent ages looking round appreciating the engineering that went into how they did it, you'll enjoy the visit.

This is a canny bit of screw cutting for the steering gear

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »
Goodness - it is hard to know where to start but here goes:

I hate to disagree with John Stevenson but the Science Museum is a must. You can ignore the green stuff but go to see Watt & Maudslay's original engines and marvel at the craftsmanship of those blokes who built them without the machine tools we have today. And then wander around. You need to go at least twice because there is so much to see and you can't take it in in one trip.

Then there is the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden. And while you are there, look at the paint on the cast iron columns in the Garden; it is thin enough to let you see the casting but when heated, it turns into a heat-resistant foam so the columns will not shatter if there is a fire and they are hit with cold water.

And if you are going to Greenwich, read Dava Sobel's book "Longitude" (if you have not already done so) and go to the observatory where they have Harrison's original chronometers and the journals of the bloke who restored them.

And don't forget the Royal Institution in Albermarle Street where you can see the original lecture aids used by Davy and Faraday and Co and where you can stand in the theatre where Eric Laithwaite gave those wonderful Xmas lectures to children on his (yes, his) linear motors.

If you want a day trip, try going to The Shuttleworth Collection at Biggleswade aerodrome. They have a wonderful collection of early aircraft which they regularly fly!! Check the program on the web. It is not only the aircraft, they also have the engines including a sectioned Bristol sleeve valve radial.

Then treat yourself and your wife with a trip to Brussels on the Eurostar just to experience super-smooth travel at 300kph. Close your eyes and you can't tell the you are moving. And  of course, since you will be in Brussels, go to the wonderful Motor Museum where they have one of the original cyclecars and a superb collection of cars of all ages.

Go early for the Eurostar and spend some time looking around at the St Pancras terminal which still contains some of the original terminal structure.

Travel on the underground and marvel at the engineering work involved in it. Look along the train through the carriages and see the way the superelevation takes out the feel of some very sharp turns.

And go to Paddington Station to pay respects to the bust of Brunel (now relegated to one side) and look at the steelwork and the design.

And then promise yourself a trip back because there is still lots and lots to interest someone with an engineering brain.

And take lots of photos to show us.

Jim

Offline chipenter

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 02:42:14 AM »
How about the Thames Barrier hears a link for half price river boat tickets http://www.thamesriverservices.co.uk/ ,
Jeff

Offline tekfab

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 04:35:24 AM »

This is a canny bit of screw cutting for the steering gear

Stew

Reminds me of Geordie John's leadscrew  ;-)

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
Hi Stew ,,,,,,,,,, now thats a canny screw LOL , its a dam shame that they have kidaffided the display , they do that with so many things now a days , dont kids have enough  :lol: I will still call in for a look .

And if you are going to Greenwich, read Dava Sobel's book "Longitude" (if you have not already done so) and go to the observatory where they have Harrison's original chronometers and the journals of the bloke who restored them.

Jim

Cracking book Jim  :thumbup:  and the Harrison chronometers are truly a work of art , not bad for a joiner   , I agree the Royal institute is worth a look  :zap:

Rob

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »
I was born 1/2 mile from that old tea clipper, saw it every day for years,

so now they have the balls to charge for it? wow!!!!!  they will be charging you 5 quid to look in the sewer next!.

Anthony.

If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 08:05:23 AM »
Don't go to Paris, Anthony. They charge about 5 Euros for a trip down the sewers.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 08:37:53 AM »
Andy

Really!!!!!! ok  I shouldn't but....... That's one way to benefit from what they have a surplus of.  Bless erm.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 08:39:53 AM »
London sewers , now that was a canny bit of engineering in its day .http://www.crossness.org.uk/

Rob

Offline tekfab

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »

Rob

"COKE "  ! ! !  Yah Geordie lightweight ! :D :)  :)

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 09:04:22 AM »
Not just any old coke ya know......Special ingredient... :lol: