Author Topic: New crew  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Scuba1

New crew
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
A couple of nights ago a nest got blown off the building in the marina yard and Linda found two live and a dead chick. I know they are starlings and before you give me grief about them being an invasive species and all that, keep yer fingers still as I know all that already, but we could not just walk past those two little guys or stomp on them. Anyway, I went to get some dried meal worms from a pet shop, already have cat food on board so we are now mixing up food paste for the guys and they are feeding and pooping like there is no tomorrow. They are so far living in a bucket with some screen over it but we are going to get a bird cage for them, so they can have a look at the world around them.
every 45 minutes or so the bucket get real noisey and they want to be fed, starting at first light till the sun sets.
I'll keep you updated how Sheldon and Leonard are doing in the next few days/ weeks.

ATB

Dr. Doolitle

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: New crew
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
Starlings might be an invasive species, but they can be really good pets as well. If they are handfed and cared for and learn to accept humans, they will never leave you.. ever..

Ive had starlings that spend the evening and night in my gazeebo and they like to sit on your hand / arm and eat out of your hand.. they can be incredibly loyal.. to a fault..
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Scuba1

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »
Leonard... you are in my spot  :) :)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »
Leonard... you are in my spot  :) :)

Michael

It's been a while since we had a report and was wondering how Sheldon and Leonard are doing. I would imagine that you have a really large cage or they have flown the coup.

How did the Ospreys make out with their eggs? Did they ever hatch?

We haven't had any posts from you in a while so hope that everything is OK and that you are just busy gathering critters for the Ark.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best