Author Topic: Car boot sale bargain finds  (Read 121122 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Car boot sale bargain finds
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »
hello! a little video on my latest finds ,regards chris

Just employed this advise in a second hand shop. Bought a beat up toolbox for a fiver that'd been sitting in a dark corner for a year with stuff piled on it, along with with a nice big n sharp crosscut file. Had to use my phone to see what was inside and decided to buy it before sorting through. It has a few taps, split dies, die nuts, drills, and handles. No idea what thread type yet but they're pretty rusty and look as if they got flooded, but they still feel sharp and should hopefully clean up fine.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2013, 03:37:50 PM »
Hi Chris

I agree with you about buying toolboxes, you get much better value and there's generally something interesting at the bottom.

I like your Yankee pump action screwdriver.  I still use one regularly.  I find the batteries are normally charged when I come to use it - unlike my cordless drill.  You commented on the cost of bits - as I understand it they aren't made any more so some sizes are impossible to find - so I thought I'd show a picture of my home made solution.

I've used two hex bit holders to make bits that will hold hex screwdriver bits in the Yankees.  The small one is made from a broken pozi bit and the large one I made using a bought one for the dimensions.  The two big ones fit a big Yankee (from a £5 toolbox) and the ones on the right a small one (inherited). 

Your sash cramp also reminded me that I found one and a half sash cramps like that in a skip.  The other bit was in there somewhere but I couldn't find it so I made a replacement.  The replacement part is the one at the bottom right in the picture.

You may not be able to resist a rusty box.  My weakness is interesting looking skips.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
So ive spent all year drooling over some of the epic finds you guys have had and not found a thing all year!

I gave up several weeks ago but decided on a last minute whim to head out at 6.30am in the cold and dark this morning!

it looks as though my new hunting grounds have finally paid off  :) :) :) :) :) :)

This is my haul after having to leave half way through to find a cash machine! There seemed to be plenty more left for next time too!

12 MT2 Drills, 1 off MT3 (all dormer and presto) and a mint Sheffield made Jacobs no.34 chuck! came from 4 different stalls prices all 50p and £5 for the chuck!

A morse taper 4 to 2 sleeve and a big counter bore on a MT2 (Head is removable) another 2 different stalls! 50p each

A matched pair of Starrett no.268 v blocks and a nice little hardened and ground v block with clamp again from 2 other stalls! £8 for the starrett and £2 for the other one.

A pair of Starrett dividers, moore and wright dividers, dog leg moore and wright dividers and a really really nice un marked scribing block £10 for the lot.

A home made ball Turner not the best but I couldnt refuse for £3!

A nice rabone level for £10

3 grubby but full and in date bottles of loc-tite for a massive £1

A nice boxed 12x8 surface plate with  minor surface rust (seller said is wasn't but got rained on at last weeks sale!£10

Turns out to be a decent vintage!

An Ex MOD grade B  24" straight edge A little bit more than I like to pay at boot sales at £20 but after thinking for a while it came home with me  :coffee:

I might just have to have another trip out next sunday now  :proj:

Offline micktoon

« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
Quality haul Steamer   :thumbup: :clap:, maybe you have the tactics right  :smart: .......... instead of going every week and getting this and that ..........just go once a year and get the lot in one go  :lol: ..........its just hitting the right week to go  :scratch: , It will be good to see what there is next week or if this was your lucky day  :drool:

Cheers Mick.

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:24 PM »
Wow that's a haul ,steamer the "dash to the cash "machine made me smile :)
Nothing worse than running out of funds when your on a roll, "tool roll"? Lol  you can't get to the cash machine fast enough  in case the item goes!
 Also We've all done this ,seen something nice and thought " I'll come back for that" only to find it's been sold   It's not a good feeling I can tell you
I hope my advise on buying the " whole box of tools for extra hidden goodies"  pays off for you chaps on your future forays
Russell, nice mod on the pump driver, and well done on the skip find/ repaired sash cramps!
" always buy the whole box!"

my videos !
https://www.youtube.com/user/skyrocketpuke/featured

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2013, 12:51:30 AM »
Wow that's a haul ,steamer the "dash to the cash "machine made me smile :)
Nothing worse than running out of funds when your on a roll, "tool roll"? Lol  you can't get to the cash machine fast enough  in case the item goes!
 Also We've all done this ,seen something nice and thought " I'll come back for that" only to find it's been sold   It's not a good feeling I can tell you
I hope my advise on buying the " whole box of tools for extra hidden goodies"  pays off for you chaps on your future forays
Russell, nice mod on the pump driver, and well done on the skip find/ repaired sash cramps!

I can assure you it did not make me smile at the time lol, I didn't realise there was still parts of the country that did not have a cash machine within a 30 mile radius! at least the lady on the gate remembered me the 2nd time around so I dint have to pay the 50p entry a second time  :ddb:

it appears I am up nice and early yet again so I may head out again into the cold today and see if I can find another bargin box or 2  :proj:

Offline micktoon

« Reply #156 on: May 19, 2014, 07:16:16 PM »
 Well it looks like 'Boot season' has started at last , Myself and Doubleboost had a good afternoon car booting in the sun and it was back to the good old days of being busy and plenty to try and find.
  This is my haul from Sunday.

Not a bad collection , 2 x Moore & Wright toolmakes 4 inch clamps , a 7 inch tool makers clamp and a 9 inch both probably apprentice pieces but well made. A 3-2 morse taper sleeve and a 3-1 morse taper sleeve, thread repair file, Maun pliers, a nut splitter, a scrolling iron, a leather workers creasing tool , a coping saw, two bowling balls that look like Ligum Vitea but could be brown composite ? I will find out when I try to make them into a mallet lol, two packs of ten sanding belts for my 3 inch Dewalt sander, a nice old tack hammer, and last but not least a Sandvik loggers hook, no real reason for buying the hook other than I would rather I had it than some homocidal maniac had it lol.
  Lets hope the weather keeps up as it was the first week that was at all busy. Anyone else had any good finds ???

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2014, 05:21:10 PM »
a good hall chaps

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2014, 10:17:43 PM »
Great idea about re-purposing the bowling balls, Mick,  -- never thought about them being Lignum Vitae. Do they sink in water?

My big shop purchase day of the year is coming up Saturday -- the Bernardston engine show. No boot sales here , but that one show is worth the wait all year. I doubt I could afford more than that anyway!

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Skyrocket

« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
hey! its only car boot tool haul number 8!

keep up the good work guys , chris :dremel:
" always buy the whole box!"

my videos !
https://www.youtube.com/user/skyrocketpuke/featured

Offline micktoon

« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »
Hi Lads , more car boot goodness gathered in today.
 I called in a a boot sale that does not have much in the way of tools etc and almost all the way around the place I was muttering to myself how it was a waste of space......................... then I spied a plastic box with some milling cutters in it a Miatoyo depth mic and Tesa dial calipers and did a deal £22 for the lot.
 There is a small ER collet chuck, various reamers, milling cutters and engraving cutters 90% carbide and all sharp or new, when I counted up there was 80 in total !.
 Later in the day I went to two more boot sales with John Doubleboost but only got a pair of Mole grips and a small long reach G clamp but £3 for the pair I was not robbed.

Days like this make the days you get nothing seem worth it lol

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
nice hall mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »
Nice! :clap:
Steve

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2014, 04:10:29 AM »
Just got to be in the right place at the right time I am in Neither most times. Then a mate who lives don south on the coast used to go garage sale hunting and he would pick me up some tasty bargains sadly he stopped going to these..but every now and then he still comes up with Hey have you got one of these :)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #164 on: July 06, 2014, 04:31:42 AM »

Did pretty good today. For a couple of years i've been trying to find reamers at the boot sale, and today I found a whole box of them for a fiver. Imperial sizes, a few of them seem pretty blunt. One is tapered with a square end ground into one end, removing the markings except for 'No.8 HS' so i've got no idea what sort of taper it is. Also found a couple of slot drills in the bottom of the box.

Also got a Starret No.246, which is apparently a planer/ shaper gauge. Didn't know what it was at the time and neither did the seller so I got it out of curiosity. Seems a little bit useless but who knows! I'd be happy to trade it for a micrometer or something if anyone has a use for it.

Boy that camera flash makes my keyboard look filthy.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #165 on: July 06, 2014, 06:13:50 AM »
Simon, you'll find that shaper setting gauge quite handy for measuring thing in awkward places - slide and lock it in the gap - remove and measure. a bit like a stubby 'Gunters Rule'  (two lath shaped pieces sliding together and locked at a particular length by a wing nut)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #166 on: July 06, 2014, 08:19:16 AM »
That taper gage is the best thing since sliced bread.

I use it on the mill allot for finding a height for tooling, i have used it to measure my gap whilst making a dovetail, I have an adapter that fit on the top and it becomes a height gage on the surface plate.

once you start to use it you will never run out of ideas where to use it.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »
Hi All , had another good day at the bootsale on Wednesday, Here is the collection.

Its a bit varied,  Two bags of stainless cap head bolts, Some wolfcarft auto hand clamps, pair of glaizers plyers, three leaterworkers awls, 4 Lufkin toolmakers clamps, a fine DMT diamond file, a C spanner, a Kreg pocket hole jig, 14mm dewalt long reach spade bit, a slim round rasp type tool that will be good for some carving jobs, a fret saw , a centre finder for round stock, a pair of large tin snips, a panel beating hammer, a small Stanley USA plastic tiped hammer,  and a nice Raborne Chesterman carpenters set square. I think it came to about £30-35 in total so good value.

All 4 Lufkin toolmakers clamps are the same size and good clean condition.

This is the Slim rasp type tool , it has a gimlet type end so you can bore a hole then rasp it bigger, I have not seen one before , it has no makers name on it but looks good quality.

This is the pocket hole jig instructions , I could have done with one of these a few times so should find jobs for it.

If the weather is ok tomorrow I will be looking for more .......its a BIG if by the look of the forecast though .

Cheers Mick.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2014, 07:42:11 PM »
Nice score Mick

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2014, 05:44:19 AM »
Wasn't much at today's boot sale except for a couple of water fire extinguishers, except the blokes wanted £30 each since 'that's what they cost new'.

Found an Atari STFM on the way out though. It's an old 80s computer, and one i've been hoping to find for a while.

The two interesting features are the YM2149 sound chip, which produces a nice sound if you're into that kind of thing.

And that it comes with a midi in and out as standard, for controlling external music stuff.

It needs a few repairs though. Haven't tried switching it on yet since it got a little bit wet during the boot sale, and the floppy disk drive seems to be missing a spring to help eject the disks. Hopefully the whole thing will work after giving it time to dry, just in case any water got inside.

Should be fun to mess around with for a bit though. There was alot of music software made for it, including the first versions of Cubase.

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2014, 07:36:24 AM »
Today's haul :-)

I dropped on lucky today as myford-stuff on eBay was at my local boot sale! I got all the above from the £1 each item bins! 2 massive pallet sized boxes crammed full of alsorts!

I grabbed one of these for half the price he has them on eBay for too :-)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2014, 10:32:13 AM »
Nice hauls guys!  :thumbup:

Simon, too bad you aren't here -- I'd give you all my old Amiga stuff.
Steve

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
Hi Guys

It really is a great feeling when you have a good day at the Boot Sales especially when you have bought quality tools at bargain prices.

Well Done it's worth the effort.

Cheers David

Offline micktoon

« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »
 Glad to see it looks like others are having some finds at the boot sales too. I found some more items today myself.

This was this mornings haul, A Mitutoyo Digimatic Vernier with data port, Weller soldering iron stand which I needed as have irons but no stands for them, a 30mm Presto tap, some worn Gilbrow tinsnips I will make into tongs, Snap On folding imperial allen wrench set, 3 flap discs, two scrapers , a slip stone, a small clamp and two strips of Moore & Wright 0.25 feeler strip.

I tried another two bootsales in the afternoon with John Doubleboost and got this stuff, the spanner roll was kindly given to me by John I had mentioned I was looking for a spanner set so I do not have to keep going from the shed to the garage for a spanner, he never used this set so gave them to me , I will no doubt have something for him in return at some point. The other things are nice Moore & Wright scraper, a few taps, two saw type cutting wheels for wood, a pad saw blade, a small buffing wheel, CK circlip pliers, a small locking clamp pliers, A tap wrench that the seller had made many years ago, I told him it was going to a good home, A tall frame junior hacksaw, a wire brush for the drill and the two plastic things are for 8mm and 10mm pipe to bend or straighten the pipe.

So the weather held out unlike yesterday.

Cheers Mick.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »
Hmmmm Interesting  :coffee:

That Kamasa spanner set looks very like the one I gave to either John DB or Rob W a couple of years ago when they came down here...

If it is, [ ask him ], It was given to me by someone who never used it. I never used it.  Looks like John never used it ....

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.