Author Topic: Car boot sale bargain finds  (Read 121017 times)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Car boot sale bargain finds
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »
That's nice n tidy John!  :thumbup:

Well done.......  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
Too right he did Peter and I am the other bloke needed to get it off the trailer safely  :thumbup: , who also gets in for nowt now because of health and safety rules  :lol:

Offline micktoon

« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2014, 05:50:32 PM »
Well this is todays car boot collection, Went to two sales with John Doubleboost, but he got best buy of the day  :thumbup:

A varied selection, a tool roll that goes with the bags further down the page, 4 center drills, some sanvik scrool saw blades, a 3MT center drill holder, small engineers square, a quite crude depth gauge but ok for wood work, a Starrett 823M internal micrometer 30mm - 300mm, a Swedish made angle finder, A indexable grooving tool for the lathe with a box of varied tips, an Allbrit planimeter, a oilstone mounted on a wooden handle, I think used to smooth off the back edge on bandsaw blades, A nice unusual old hammer, an Eclipse saw set for use when setting saw teeth and a spoke shave Record 51 these were both for a friend who I know was looking out for these. I think this whole lot in the photo came to £25 in total, god bless bootsales when you can find what you want !

The Starrett 823M

The Allbrit planimeter, I know there looks to be a central sort od weight pivot part that is missing but easy to make and I suspect the chrome cylinder/tube with the knurled rim is not part of the planimeter, I have looked on the net and they all seem to be adjustable so the head can slide along the bar, this one looks fixed so can anyone shed any light on this? They are used for working out the area of shapes on charts etc, I did not know this when I bought it but it was only £3 so worth a gamble lol.

I had also wanted a tool bag mainly for putting my carving gear in when I go to the club, I saw a good army holdall type bag for £2 ( the one at the back ) then after I got that I saw a pair of Bucket Boss 24 inch tool bags for £10 so got them too , so from not having enough bags I now have one for every item lol.

Cheers Mick

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »
Hi
Lads
Did 3 boot sales today
Two of them with Mick
Bought a nice clamp 2 pairs of trousers and this

Been after one for a while now
Runs very nice
(be on this Sundays video)
John

That's a hell of a find! Which bootsale was it?

Myself I found carbide. The collection begins...

After looking it up the lower ones are for face mills. Doubt i'd need something like that for a while, so I could send them to anyone that might have a use for them.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »
A nice unusual old hammer

Looks like a raising hammer. Would be handy for shaping sheet metal.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #205 on: August 31, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
Hi Simon, John went to Blaydon , then we both went to Hexham followed by Tranwell, it was just one of them good days , we will have passed plenty of other stuff too, yet the past few weeks have been very poor, so you can never tell. The hammer looks as if it could be very old , the shaft is not up to much but I will put a new shaft on it and generally clean up the head, it will be good for raising or planishing at the flatter end and ok for hollowing with the more domed end, I always get any interesting hammers I can find lol , I just can not walk past a good old intersting hammer lol. That old knife was only 50p and look at the wear on it, its got a stamp saying its hand forged stainless steel on the blade, it was too nice to leave rotting in a box full of brocken nasty cheap tools so rescued it  :thumbup:, I will maybe never use it but can give it a home in a draw full of fitting draw mates  :thumbup:
   looks like you got some good carbide, the top ones look like thread cutting tips maybe ?

Cheers Mick

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2014, 08:30:29 PM »
Yeah the top ones are for threads, which i'm pleased with finding. Planning to get a bigger lathe soon so they'll hopefully come in handy then.

I recently broke the hammer-habit myself. I've got a few useful looking hammer heads lying about that need handles, but i'll wait till I actually find a use for them before I worry about that.

I really should give the Hexham bootsale another chance, the one time I went there I was disappointed when every seller laughed at me for suggesting things like their bench vises were worth anything less than £100. I'll be driving soon so it won't be as awkward to get to.

Saw a few things at the Swalwell boot sale that looked interesting, but i'm trying to cut down on the amount of interesting but probably useless (to me) junk I buy since i've got no space left for any more.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
hi all well you two got sum good stuff john i have got sum vintage ht cable that will go on to that engine and i can give you sum info on them as i have rebuilt a lot of them right my boot sale finds is a halfords ratchet handle for £1 a moor and right tap handle £1 a set of moor and right dividers £1 two center punches by Kennedy £1 a set of model making players £1 a 12x1 mm tap £1 a 8x75 mm tap £1 and a set of 2.5 mm taps £1.50 pics

Offline micktoon

« Reply #208 on: September 01, 2014, 07:02:39 PM »
Looks like you did well yourself Bob , some good stuff there too  :thumbup: , glad you liked Johns new toy , when John said he had bought it first thing I thought was how the hell are we going to get that into the car  :bugeye: , then he said the fella was delivering it too  :bow:

Cheers Mick

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #209 on: September 02, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »
What a pair of scroungers you two make grabbing all the good stuff................yes just jealous I know. Some top gear in that lot Mick. John watched the engine video sounds sweet.

Oh John well done in the Ice Bucket Challenge  :clap:

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #210 on: September 03, 2014, 04:00:33 AM »
Not only scroungers but obviously have too much room in their play pens to store all their loot.  :lol:
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Dadels2010

« Reply #211 on: September 03, 2014, 03:47:59 PM »
krv3000 I do like how you clean them up so nicely,  :clap:  please my I know how do you get off all the rust?  :scratch:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #212 on: September 03, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »
Not only scroungers but obviously have too much room in their play pens to store all their loot.  :lol:
John B

Mick's got to find stuff to fill his newly painted cabinets not sure what John's excuse is as watching his video's he's lucky to move in his shed..........although I think there's room under that table he sits at.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #213 on: September 04, 2014, 05:19:11 PM »
hi dadels2010 i did a post on this sum time back old car battery acid is wat i use to remove the rust and to resharpen files the trick is to remove all trases of oil by geting wat ever it is that you is geting the rust off hot to burn off the oil but not to hot as to change its culer then once cold place in a contaner with the acid

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #214 on: September 04, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »

The Allbrit planimeter, I know there looks to be a central sort od weight pivot part that is missing but easy to make and I suspect the chrome cylinder/tube with the knurled rim is not part of the planimeter, I have looked on the net and they all seem to be adjustable so the head can slide along the bar, this one looks fixed so can anyone shed any light on this? They are used for working out the area of shapes on charts etc, I did not know this when I bought it but it was only £3 so worth a gamble lol.

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick, sorry I missed this post earlier.

Here's my planimeter, bought new in 1975 for $150. I think you got a bargain!

The head doesn't normally slide along the sighting bar, though it is held by a setscrew. But I think that would only be used for adjusting the accuracy. There is a test standard included in the kit you can see it tucked into the lower edge of the box. I've never adjusted it.

The pivot bar is fixed in length. You sight throught the glass magnifier, and there is a tiny set of concentric circles for a crosshair. This follows the outline of your drawing, and area is read off on the dials -- there is a coarse dial and a vernier.

I can't get very good pics tonight -- too dark, but if you want I can take better ones tomorrow.

In the box:

As it would be set up for use:

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #215 on: September 04, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »
Hi
Lads
Did 3 boot sales today
Two of them with Mick
Bought a nice clamp 2 pairs of trousers and this

Been after one for a while now
Runs very nice
(be on this Sundays video)
John

Sheesh, I missed your Lister, too, John, really nice!
Steve

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #216 on: September 05, 2014, 08:10:16 PM »
Ok Its not a boot sale buy BUT an Op Shop buy and freebie.

Scored a nice clean UK made Stanley No4 all in great order in a box $40 after a friends daughter asked me to check the photo out on FB as she needed a price to tag it and sell it.

LOML picked it up yesterday at her spinners group as the girls mum also goes there. One of the other ladies who huby passed away some time ago was clearing out some of his wood n tools books.
 I have had a quick browse/flick through only at this stage but I think my favourite will be the Recycling Use and Repair of Tools

Interesting also is the Woodcraft Goes to The Opera this is a book of woodcrafters who were in attendance at an Exhibition in 1987 9th to 20th September the list of people who exhibited and their outline is whats in the book. I just noticed the Business sponsors on the reveres side many still around today.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2014, 03:58:09 AM »
Hi Steve, thanks for posting the photos of the planimeter, mine works with a tracing ' needle ' rather than the sight glass but the dial end at the opposite end of the arm looks like its not intended to be moved as plastic bungs over the fixing screws ?  I will post better photos soon.
   Out of interest what did you use yours for , reading charts or have you found other uses too

Cheers Mick

Offline micktoon

« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2014, 04:01:20 AM »
Hi Ray, looks like you git a as new plane there  :drool: Stanley is a good make too. The books look to be interesting too, should keep you out of trouble for a bit while you read them lol.

Cheers Mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
Hi Steve, thanks for posting the photos of the planimeter, mine works with a tracing ' needle ' rather than the sight glass but the dial end at the opposite end of the arm looks like its not intended to be moved as plastic bungs over the fixing screws ?  I will post better photos soon.
   Out of interest what did you use yours for , reading charts or have you found other uses too

Cheers Mick

Mick, yes, I don't think you are supposed to move that in relation to the arm -- that's only for calibration. It does travel over paper though.

I used mine to get submerged areas of design boat hull sections to calculate displacement via Simpson's rule or Trapezoidal rule, also needed for stability calculations. I was once a naval architect.

All done by computer now, I guess, though I'd probably still do it all manually with pen and ink on drafting film. Easier for me to adjust curves to suit what I like freehand than with a mouse, and also easier to work with a 30" wide drawing than a 14" wide screen.
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
If you google 'google planimeter' there is a superb free application that allows you to measure land areas from google maps. Not a lot of good from boat sections though !!!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #221 on: September 06, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »
Found a couple of interesting items:

a) is a thread chaser  - I think.  It has five positions each marked 38 which seems an odd number tpi for a thread. Can anyone shed any light on its use?

b) is a 1/2"  12 tap made by  J. Whitworth & Co Manchester - which is interesting because  the company was formed in 1874 and incorporated Armstrong Mitchell & co in 1897 to become Armstrong Whitworth. So this tap dates before 1897 (or soon after) and could have been knocking around in a tool box for 120 years or so :)

Bill

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #222 on: September 06, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »
Hi Ray, looks like you git a as new plane there  :drool: Stanley is a good make too. The books look to be interesting too, should keep you out of trouble for a bit while you read them lol.

Cheers Mick

Thanks Mick (not sure I like being called a git tho LOL).

The plane is in excellent condition.
Wife reckons the books will cause more trouble cause I'll want to buy more tools.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #223 on: September 06, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
If you google 'google planimeter' there is a superb free application that allows you to measure land areas from google maps. Not a lot of good from boat sections though !!!

You can find areas and centroids of irregular closed shapes easily in SketchUp with a free third party plugin. I've never used it for boats, but have for R/C airplane designs.
Steve

Offline Dadels2010

« Reply #224 on: September 07, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »
hi dadels2010 i did a post on this sum time back old car battery acid is wat i use to remove the rust and to resharpen files the trick is to remove all trases of oil by geting wat ever it is that you is geting the rust off hot to burn off the oil but not to hot as to change its culer then once cold place in a contaner with the acid

Thx krv3000 will search for your post

Dirk