Author Topic: My.. ergh, heat treater. ;)  (Read 3246 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
My.. ergh, heat treater. ;)
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
Thought this would be fun to post when it was going.. This is how i heat treat knifes primarily.. Some stone coal of some sort. Grill briquettes to start em, some engine oil to keep it burning while the coal lights.. and a vacuum cleaner for air.. The thingy is a break drum sitting ontop of a cast iron flowerpot i stoal from the wifeys garden and plasma cut a hole into it.. (that was a fun discussion). ;)

And on side note, this setup melts steel..  really fast.. i have blinked once or twice and the damn knife blade came dripping out through the bottom hole.. And its really hard to "eyeball" the temperature most times.. so i put it in there for a few minutes and hope i can pull it out more or less. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: My.. ergh, heat treater. ;)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »
..he..he - I've been there with my ceramic chip forge. Suddenly find the end of the bar you are working on isn't there any more.

I hope that you are planning to restore that long armed sewing machine in the background ?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline micktoon

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Aye a Singer K29 leather sewing machine?  if I not mistaken, I have one myself , built in the days when things were built to last, cobblers used to use them , the arm can reach inside boots etc.
  Seems like you have plenty heat there anyway  :bugeye:

Cheers Mick

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 02:27:07 PM »
I had no idea what that was i found it in the floor of the shed behind when i pulled out the insides and built me a garage. :)

I was thinking of melting it down and make something other from it at first. Well see. I sense i will get slapped if i do that now though
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »
We want a "back to factory finish" re-build completely documented with photographs, and don't forget it would have had a mirror finish black enamel overcoat  :D
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex