Author Topic: Spring/roll pin alternative?  (Read 5006 times)

Offline sparky961

Spring/roll pin alternative?
« on: April 23, 2013, 11:36:08 PM »
While working with my lathe on the weekend, I inadvertently ran the carriage too far while power feeding.  I should have been paying more attention, but the setup I was working with had the tool post to the opposite side of the carriage so I was expecting there to be more travel left judging by the distance from the tool to the chuck.  Ooops.

After getting everything unjammed, a bit of a task there, I was happy to discover that the damage was limited to the spring/roll pin that connects the drive to the lead screw.  It sheared off, though not as cleanly as I would have liked, leaving the inside bore for me to clean up.

I checked my odds and ends and I don't have the right size replacement.  Does anyone have suggestions for something else I could cobble together (without a lathe) that would still shear under too much load?  Or should I just suck it up and buy one of those 1000 pin assortments, of which I would expect to use 5 pieces in my lifetime. ;)  The hole is about 5mm but could be enlarged slightly.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
Re: Spring/roll pin alternative?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:10:13 AM »
You can still use your lathe. lock the saddle and use the top slide.
Replace it with a brass pin, shears easy, no damage, make a couple of spares up..
John Stevenson

Offline tomrux

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 04:21:24 AM »
+1 on the brass replacement

TomR

Offline sparky961

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:36:51 AM »
You can still use your lathe. lock the saddle and use the top slide.
Replace it with a brass pin, shears easy, no damage, make a couple of spares up..

Exactly what I was looking for!  Thanks.