Author Topic: Using a dimond grinding cup in a mill.  (Read 4232 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Using a dimond grinding cup in a mill.
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:27:26 AM »
Im thinkng if its possible to make an arbor and put a diamond grinding cup in a arbor using it my mill. I have 800 grit grinding cup and think it could be a neat way finishing off surfaces that need to be really flat.. Opinions.. crazy talk?
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Pete.

Re: Using a dimond grinding cup in a mill.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
Electroplated diamond or CBN cupwheel? If you use an electroplated diamond wheel dry on steel the diamonds will break down pretty quickly.

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
Diamond dust can DEVOUR the ways and gibs of a mill. Once it gets imbedded it is nearly impossible to remove.

Joe

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:04:11 PM »
I have somekind of resin bonded cup on a aluminium base that i bough from CTC tool..

And yes i know diamond dust is bad for the ways.. i need to cover **** up when doing this i imagine..
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
If you going to use a diamond wheel on steel you will need to use a flood coolant, otherwise the diamond wheel will be destroyed.
Something to do with the heat and carbon-carbon attraction  :doh:
 :beer:
DaveH

PS. most manufactures only recommend diamond grinding wheels to be used on non ferrous materials.
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »
Hmmm so not a diamond cup then.. i dont own a surface grinder.. so how would one go about it then?!

Offline philf

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »
CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels are readily available for grinding of steels. Keep your diamond wheel for carbide.

I have a diamond cup wheel and a CBN cup wheel which came with my Quorn T&C grinder (which my much missed mate bequeathed to me). I don't know which wheel is which - is there a simple way of finding out?

I tried using an Al2O3 cup wheel on my mill to grind a steel part taking all necessary precautions to keep grinding dust at bay. Putting on a small enough feed was too hit and miss to make it comfortable to use.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 05:44:05 PM »
CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels are readily available for grinding of steels. Keep your diamond wheel for carbide.

I have a diamond cup wheel and a CBN cup wheel which came with my Quorn T&C grinder (which my much missed mate bequeathed to me). I don't know which wheel is which - is there a simple way of finding out?

Maybe try to scratch a piece of carbide on a wheel edge (not running). If it scratches on one and not the other, it's diamond.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
Nope, CBN is also harder than carbide, not far off diamond hardness... Sounds to me like a pretty universal wheel, other than cost, what's the downside? There has to be one...  :D

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »
I have been thinking on the same lines , I have had a resin bonded diamond wheel on my bench grinder for eighteen months with no visible where , used for carbide and the soft steel under the tips , but you have to be gentle with it doesn't cut any quicker if you lean on it .
Jeff