Author Topic: Miniature Carpentry Tools  (Read 16492 times)

Offline flyingtractors1

Miniature Carpentry Tools
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »
Thought some might appreciate my growing collection of miniature tools.  Featured here are a few that were completed recently.  Ralph

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:46:18 PM by flyingtractors1 »

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Miniature Carpentry Tools
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:13:14 PM »
Amazing work
They all looked "normal" until your hand came in to shot
Very functional as well
John

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • Software For People Who Build Things
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »
Some questions...

Are those "bull horn" saw handles a scaled-down version of some real saw(s)?  They look as if they would be extremely uncomfortable to use in full scale.

Are you familiar with rivett608's work?  He hangs out on Practical Machinist  Here's an example of the type of stuff he does...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/woodworking-woodworking-machinery-new-forum/my-miniature-tool-chest-140639/

Finally, how do you build anything with a bench that cluttered? 
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:45:10 PM »
Thanks for your observations. mklots.  The saw handles are stylized versions of some pictures that I saw of real saws.  In full scale I may have used a different artistic license, but in miniature they are quite comfortable enough.  I just checked rivett608's work.  WOW!!!  INCREDIBLE.  And finally, you may want to look again.  My bench is cluttered with artistically placed instruments of my work which create scale references, and among them an observant viewer might note a number of other minature tools which I strategically poised in the background for aesthetic effect.  At any rate, I may not recommend my work station, procedures, or any other idosyncrosies that are unique to me, but I find my environment quite comfortable, conducive and effective for the work I do.  Ralph

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 04:09:38 AM »
Hi Ralph ,,,,,,,,,,,,, incredible  :bow: :bow:,,,,,,,,, I did notice the other small tools in the background as you panned the camera  :med:

What type of wood are you using ? 

Keep the miniature tools coming .

Rob   

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:28:52 PM »
Thanks for your astute awareness and motivation, Rob.  I have experimented with many types of wood and find that some of the more exotic, though not original, produce the most artistically appealing results with distinct tight grain.  Bocote and Cocobolo yield the finest grain patterns.  Ebony and Wenge are nice but difficult to form; Rosewood, Mahogany and Walnut are more original but sometimes rather featureless beyond form.  I'll continue to experiment and create to publish for those who can appreciate.  Ralph

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 02:03:07 PM »
Hi Ralph

Aye that what I was getting at , as scale decreases the grain/ pattern of the wood is lost , were as your choice of wood still has a scale effect , nice going  :thumbup: I  sure appreciate your work , you must have dam good eye sight .

Rob 

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 05:49:47 PM »
Thanks again, Rob.  As I sought to retain the wood grain at a miniature scale, I discovered the exotic woods with incredibly tight growth rings (desert trees, etc).  The pureists might argue about originality, but I sometimes use my own discretion for best effect.  Are you aware of any other tight grained woods that I might explore?  Well, my eye sight is failing, but I do have damn good glasses, magnifiers and jewelers lenses which aid my efforts.  Ralph

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 03:54:40 AM »
Hi Ralph

I dont no much about wood ,so I could not recommend any ,   I had to google "Bocote and Cocobolo"   :palm:  they both have a very nice pleasing grain .
There is nothing wrong with a bit artistic licence .  :thumbup:

Looking at the video again , it looks like you have a good few tools already made , do you have many more to make to complete the tool box ?

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 05:40:11 AM »
Hi
Ralph
I see what you mean about the size of the grain
Do you use some of your miniature tools to make miniature tools with
The tennon saw with the brass stiffening strip  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
John

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 08:46:52 AM »
Im just waiting to see a miniture plane shaver or stationary bandsaw, milling machine now in that scale. ;)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline saw

• lucky amateur
    • Svenssons AckordsWerkstad
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
Nice, now you just have to find small people...  :lol: :lol:

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 04:12:15 PM »
Thanks for your comments of interest, gents.  I do sometimes use some of the small tools in the production of other tools - especially the saws, planes and marking tools.  About every time I finish a new piece I think that I've got a complete toolbox set; then something else occurs to me, and I'm off on a new path.  I'm trying to build a nice chistle set now and have discovered several ways not to do it.  I need to learn better how to soften, harden and anneal steel so that it can be formed and sharpened well.  I am actually pondering some about a suitable scale tool box   :coffee:.   As for complex machines at this scale, it'll be a while.  And the little people - - I think that they appear at night and hide some of my stuff.   :scratch:

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »
Hi All,  found some more pics of tools for my tool box.  Hope that I'm not overdoing it here, but I sensed some interest in my work.  Ralph

and

and

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 02:45:14 AM »
Incredible :clap:

It's a art itseff to scale objects. More so to retain functionality. Materials don't scale easy. I'm very impressed.

Apparently you also use these tools. How do they work on non scaled wood? I mean these tools are scaled so much down from normal size, eventually some cutting angles and form probably have to be adjusted, because materials do not scale. This was a major consideration when I studied a little bit of aero- and hydrodynamics - you could build a scale model, but not scale air or scale water.

Pekka

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 05:22:22 AM »
Ralph, 

Them there tools are fantastic  :clap:  Damn tiny!

Just read through all the comments... Cluttered bench :lol:  You should see the state of mine  :bugeye:  Makes yours look stunningly neat and tidy (I should be upset.... But I'm not  :) )

Artistic licence... What's the point of making them yourself if you don't put your own twist on 'em  :scratch: I'm all for take and use the set measurements and make the rest up as you go  :ddb:

I was playing spot the mini tools, kept pausing the vid  :loco:

I was thinking similar bout needing a mini carpenter too... An action man?   :lol:

Keep 'em coming  :thumbup:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 10:03:13 AM »
Hi Pekka,  I'm tickled to know that you have higher awareness about building functional scale models.  It is not just a matter of making it little.  There is a science to this art defined by Reynolds Numbers, and the smaller it goes, the more prominent it becomes for form and function to cohabitate.  Harnessing these two really does define the pleasure to the eye and mind (which are very discerning).  Using a scale saw (blade of any sort) to cut non scale material does produce interesting results since the bond of the material is so relatively loose compared to the thin kerf of the saw, and the blade tends to wander requiring additional final finishing for presentation.  I'm saying that I appreciate your high awareness of the intricacies at play here.  But in the end, it is all about fine ilusion and good fun.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 10:35:46 AM »
Hi Ralph.  It's good to see (hear from you again).  I never knew that "cluttered bench" was a forbidden affliction, but am glad to know that it plagues others as well.   :ddb:  I had always rather considered it an acceptible personal means toward a desirable end.  (I'm not upset either)  And yes, I do believe that everything any of us does / creates carries an intrinsic signature, and we all hold our jaw uniquely poised when we work just like the old art masters who could be defined not just by the style and content of their work but by the very brush strokes that they took, the color combinations they used or media they employed.  Thanks for being an astute observer and cynosure of art.  Yea, I need a miniature carpenter now - one that is a little crazy and a big nut (like me).  Ralph
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:42:00 PM by flyingtractors1 »

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 02:43:37 PM »
Since I rediscovered some of my old pics, I find some worthy of sharing.  Ralph

Nail makers bench and anvil -- for scale those are straight pins on the anvil

And

Spokeshave bench and vise "shaveshorse"

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:30:13 PM by flyingtractors1 »

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Ralph, Cynosure!  :jaw:  Had to look that one up... Are you calling me "artsie fartsie"?  :poke:    :lol: 

Those are very Neat. Do you use photo's to build from or the real thing?

I've never seen a nail makers bench and anvil before. That looks like it could have been an unskilled/apprentices job?

I like the spokeshave and shavehorse too. The horse being particularly interesting as something I have never seen before either  :)

Learn something new every day they say.... Well there's 3 things and it's only 00:23!  :thumbup:

Just wondering, Do you have you a setting in mind for all the tools? Like 3 walls and a floor of a scaled down workshop?
or a display case of some sort?

I keep telling myself to get a case built for my little oddities.... Should listen to myself too. They're all getting covered in dust :bugeye:

What's next on the build list? Did I read tool box?

Are you going all out? One of this type of thing with the great storage ideas and ornate inlays?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=carpenters+tool+chest&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=3Fu&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Qo1sUejGHa6o0AX0yICgBQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1038&bih=583

Ralph.

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »
Hi Ralph.  Artsy fartsy?  No.  Old Fart?  Maybe?  But certainly "Well informed appreciator".  These two benches and many other tools were built from pictures in a book on early American tools.  I have pondered a display and / or storage method for quite some time and just don't know what I'll do.  I think that I'd like to build a miniature shop diorama, but I'm still busy building stuff to put in it.  Thanks for the link.  WOW!!!  I am totally humbled, and could never live up to some of those tool (jewelry) boxes and displays.  Guess I'll just ponder it some more as I study some of pictures in the link.  Ralph

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
Ralph, If you can make all these pieces then I have every faith in you to build a fancy tool chest  :thumbup:

Some of those tool chests are what the cabinet makers made during their apprenticeships from what I'm told.

My dad had my great grandad's version in the garage for years... Till the damp got to it and destroyed the corner. So he sold it on e-blag!  :(

:lol:  The term "artsie fartsie" was used on me a few years back by a fellow going by the handle "Circlip"  (Ian). It was used to describe my general style of turning. Quite right was too  :dremel: 

Diorama... I knew there was a word for it' but it was late and words escaped me!

Suppose it'd be quite large to have in scale?

So maybe just the fancy tool box and a display case?  :proj:

Ralph.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
I like it all, but particularly love the spokeshave, bevel gauge, and drawknife, all tools I have used for many years. Ever do a shipbuilder's adze or caulking mallet?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
Thanks for the encoyragement and confidence in me Ralph.  I'll start doing some sketches and scale drawings today and masy have something to show for it down the road.  Ralph

Offline flyingtractors1

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 12:11:15 PM »
Thanks vtsteam.  Yes, I have built a carpenter's adz with half head and crook long handle, but I can't seem to find it now.  It is different from a ship builder's adz in that the later has a round spike rather than a half head end opposite the blabe.  I'll try to find mine.  Ralph