Author Topic: Tool holding tapers ISO30  (Read 3158 times)

Offline rschilp

Tool holding tapers ISO30
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:17:14 PM »
OK, just bought my first "real" mill, my current mill/drill has simple ER collects and I know how to deal with those.

My "new to me" mill has ISO30-B18 tool holders, what does this mean and what other toolholders are compatible?

The mill in question can be seen here (sorry page in Dutch) http://www.hbm-machines.com/producten/metaalbewerking/metaalfreesmachines/metaalfreesmachinesssub/hbm-45-profi-dro-freesmachine

When I go look for toolholders, I find all kinds of 30 taper tooling, ER, NMTB, SK, ISO, INT and so on.. and I understand some of these are (or could be made) compatible with my mill.

Can anyone give me some guidance on all the different notations and what will fit my machine?

I'm planning to get an ER collet holder (ER32 or ER40) with a set of both metric and inch collets, a drillchuck, a shaft for my 3" boring head and some slitting saw arbors.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Tool holding tapers ISO30
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
ISO30 is your milling holder size.. B18 is the maximum drilling taper it can handle. (if memory serves me right).

The ISO30, INT30 and BT30 are very similar, they have the same included angle. But they differ somewhat in how the tooling is attached.
If you go by the DIN number instead which i think is DIN2080 you can find ER32 and ER40 collets on the UK ebay quite easy. There is also tons of tooling for this spindle typ from hong kong that has quite good quality. But its a very common european size so tooling shouldnt be a problem.

=)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline rschilp

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:40:35 PM »
NeoTech, thanks for the reply.

I should probably mention that this mill is in my new shop in the Netherlands, so I'll be looking for most tooling there. But for the next month or so I'll be in the US and if I can find any tooling here I'll ship it along with my other tools.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 02:49:26 AM »
Ah well if you are in Netherlands and looking for tooling, rdgtools, glanze and some others are just on the side of the canal. Otherwise www.marktplaats.nl is a great source for used tooling.

Remember though shipping stuff within EU is not as cheap as within US.. its sometimes even cheaper to have stuff expressed from US than from an other EU country.. (yeap i know its silly).
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/