The Shop > Tools

Making Simple QC Tool Holders

<< < (3/21) > >>

vtsteam:
After facing one end I decided to face the opposite end to dimension the block. The finished toolholders are 2-1/2" long.

I don't have have a carriage stop (one more project for another day). So I decided to just place a clock indicator on the magnetic base at the end of the carriage travel.

To load, this time I placed the blocks with their newly faced ends against the 4 jaw chuck face and lightly tightened jaws 1 and 4. I then tapped the block in with a soft face deadblow hammer to make sure it was seated. And then did final tightening.

I took a test cut, removed the blank and measured it with calipers to get the total amount that I needed to take off. I then reset the indicator so that it would read zero when I reached the finished dimension.

I replaced the blank and turned it down to within 10 thou of finished dimension and took it out again just to check the setup. A slight adjustment of the indicator and I replaced the blank and faced it to 3 thou over.

Unfortunately, without more QTC tool posts I couldn't do a finish cut on this face with a different lathe tool without wrecking my set-up. For the second sizing face I was using a more aggressive tool grind than on the first face and that left a rougher finish. I had to take up to 1/8" off, and with an interrupted cut, a finish bit would have been slow going.As it was I was getting about 20 thou cuts at best without chatter. I left the 3 thou over so I could finish up later.

vtsteam:

I managed to face 5 of the blanks before it was supper time. The two others will have to wait until tomorrow. About 2 hours work total -- which is pretty good for me. I still have to spend half my time figuring out how I'm going to do something. And this lathe is not as well equipped as my Gingery lathe. But it's coming along.

vtsteam:

--- Quote from: black85vette on April 09, 2013, 08:07:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: vtsteam on April 09, 2013, 06:24:05 PM ---missing the 48 tooth, which I might just make myself

--- End quote ---

Check ebay.  There are lots of Atlas lathes that have been parted out.   You can find about anything.

--- End quote ---

Thanks black85vette -- I have been checking ebay last few weeks. Seems like every number of teeth comes up but 48.  :coffee:

black85vette:
Is this it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Craftsman-10-12-Lathe-48-Tooth-Threading-Change-Gear-/121092906859?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c31b31f6b

vtsteam:
Thanks! black85vette  :mmr:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version