The Shop > Tools

Making Simple QC Tool Holders

<< < (2/21) > >>

NeoTech:
This gotta be the simplest form of QC ive seen.. and still so damn effective..

vtsteam:
Black85vette, I'm using just a piece of 1" x 2" hot rolled bar cut into 2-1/2" lengths.

And yup, that's a 12" Sears (Atlas mfg.) lathe. I don't have a QC gearbox like you do, but have the regular change gears (missing the 48 tooth, which I might just make myself).

Sparky96, Pete is right there is a screw that bears against the carriage top to set the height.

NeoTech, I'm looking forward to having more toolholders -- I only have 1 for this lathe -- which kind of defeats the "quick change" idea. I could have used a couple of them today, working on the others!

vtsteam:

Here is the my one QC tool holder about to face the end of a new one. I used the 4 jaw, and didn't set the block all the way in against the chuck face, since the back of the block isn't faced yet. The jaws alone are positioning the block.

To place subsequent blocks, I opened jaws 1 and 4 to release a finished piece and replace it with a new blank.

vtsteam:

Here are the new 7 blocks with the first machined face on each. I checked them all with a machinist square after facing to make sure they hadn't been misaligned in the 4 jaw.

black85vette:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on April 09, 2013, 06:24:05 PM ---missing the 48 tooth, which I might just make myself

--- End quote ---

Check ebay.  There are lots of Atlas lathes that have been parted out.   You can find about anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version