Author Topic: Chamfering a hole  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Lykle

Chamfering a hole
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:04:35 AM »
It seems that the more I make, the less I know.
Things that seem to be quite straight forward turn out to be not so easy in real life. Live and learn.

So, I made the body of the Trebuchet and it looks a bit messy. To clean up the look, I think I want to put a chamfer on the edge of the hole. I would like it to be an even 2mm all around.

Looking at it, I think I have concluded there is no way I can do this with clever tooling or such. The only way I think I can do it now is with the little deburring tool like this one:

Or use a Dremel but then getting it an even 2 mm all around is going to be tricky.

Any better ideas?
This is a picture of the part as it is now. I know the surface is not what it needs to be yet, that will come.
Lykle

Design, Build and Enjoy life.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Chamfering a hole
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »
Maybe something like this, since you have a small bearing-pilot hole inside....

EDIT: lower stop collar sets angle of cut, not depth.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
Decent knife will do a better job than a deburer, quicker and more controllable too. I have to debur irregular shapes, tried many a thing two decades ago then found a knife some one made me and still used daily.
Nice sweeping flow or it will dig in.

Offline Lykle

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »
Ha! Nice sketch!
That would vary the angle of the cut along the hole, but it would work. I will think about it.
Another tool to build, mama!

Using a knife? Never thought of that, I will have to try that on a scrap piece first.

Not sure what I am going to do yet. Wanted to leave it unchamfered, but I am afraid the edge will look a bit messy.
Lykle

Design, Build and Enjoy life.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »
You need to vary the angle of the cut along the hole if you are to meet your original spec of an even 2 mm land all around. Hence the design. :dremel:

I would change two things on further consideration.

1.) The fixed arm shouldn't be tapped for the screw, but just make it a sliding fit, and fit a plunger (instead of a screw) to pass through the top of the arm and topped with a small knob.  That way you can apply hand pressure instead of depending on the spring.

2.) Put a knob on top of the pilot shaft, as well. Could be just a second stop collar.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 09:42:24 AM »
Hi,
     I normally use a small half round or triangular scraper, made by Moore & Wright.

Cheers David