Poll

How do you feel about videos?

I like them.
66 (91.7%)
My internet speed is too slow to properly stream them.
4 (5.6%)
They're obnoxious and/or require too much attention.
2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Sheet metal forge build.  (Read 18630 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Sheet metal forge build.
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:02:20 PM »
I'm making an atmospheric propane forge based pretty heavily off of this thing (the website seems to be currently down though).

This first video is just welding up the frame. There's nothing too exciting there unless you like seeing sparks and ugly welds.

It feels like the 'real' project here has become the videos themselves more than what i'm making in them though. They seem to take more time and effort at least. But i'm still figuring them out so i'm open to any tips or suggestions.

Also the poll is just out of curiosity since I recently had internet trouble and couldn't properly stream videos for a while.

Offline stevehuckss396

Re: Sheet metal forge build.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:22 PM »
It feels like the 'real' project here has become the videos themselves more than what i'm making in them though. They seem to take more time and effort at least.

Kind of makes you appreciate the guy's who take the time to document what they build. It doubles the work load. I have documented a few of my builds and I agree that it is a pain but I do it because I know it helps more than a few people out there. Hats off to you for taking the time!  :thumbup:

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Very well done video  :thumbup: cant imagine how much work it took to make the video ,just taking a few photos of a build is enough for me to do  :palm: .Nice work on the forge too  :clap: :clap:

What are your plans  for refractory ? 

Rob 

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 04:18:05 AM »
Good video, but the sound is rather muffled so it's hard to tell what you're saying.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 06:13:22 AM »
Good video, but the sound is rather muffled so it's hard to tell what you're saying.

Andy

Yeah that's something I was worried about. It's a deadly mix of a north English accent, a bad microphone, and myself just being a terrible speaker in general. I'm looking at getting a better microphone though so maybe it'll help. Or I could switch to subtitles but i've always preferred vocal commentary in these kinds of videos myself.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 06:22:49 AM »
What are your plans  for refractory ? 

I read some stuff on alloyavenue about using fireclay or kaolin mixed with shredded polystrene (which burns out to leave air pockets) to make a very cheap and kind of okay refractory. It's definitely the cheapest option I can think of, and the clay is eaiser to source than ceramic blankets or 'real' refractory cement. Plus the guy on that forum seems to swear by it and he seems to know his stuff. I figure it could be interesting if it works out since aside from that guy i've never heard of anyone else trying it out.

It could also be a total failure but at least it'll rule it out as a viable option.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 07:45:38 AM »
Just been out in the yard for a rummage I have three bags of 1600C castable going spare  yours if you would like them .FOC

Rob

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »
Just been out in the yard for a rummage I have three bags of 1600C castable going spare  yours if you would like them .FOC
Rob

I'd appreciate that. Will you be in at around 10am on Tuesday if I came to collect them?

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
PM sent  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline micktoon

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
Top marks for the video  :bow: :bow: :thumbup: , I can imagine that it will have took as much time editing and filming as the project so thanks for going to the effort, I had seen Eric Things forge years back and thought it looked to do the job of heating sheet well so hope it ends up working as well for you .

Cheere Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
Well done on the video :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I have posted a few and realise how much work is envolved  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What camera are you using
John

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 05:52:53 PM »
Well done on the video :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I have posted a few and realise how much work is envolved  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What camera are you using
John

Thanks!

I'm using a nikon s8200. Kinda on the high end of what i'm comfortable with spending though.

I quite like Matthias Wandel's videos (i'm largely trying to copy his style to be honest) and I was originally looking at getting the nikon s6200, but I found this article/ video by him when looking for demo footage and reviews of the s6200 and decided to go for the s8200 instead. If it's good enough for him...

It was really one of those things where you kind of go in expecting to spend, say, £60. Then once youre comfortable with that idea £80 doesn't seem as bad, and then once you're comfortable with that you can maybe manage £100... and then before you know it you've spent a bunch more than you originally intended.

I'm pretty happy with the video quality though but i'm not so keen on the microphone hiss. Shame you cant plug in an external microphone like with fancier cameras.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »
The other way is to dub the audio at the editing stage
I have some good editing soft ware you could "borrow"
John

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 06:41:20 PM »
Don't worry i'm already 'borrowing' some software. Took me a while to find some that actually worked as I wanted though. Alot of the new ones need a 64 bit operating system which I don't have.

It got more complicated still when I got into the wonderful world of codecs and rendering. I'm still not sure what I really did to get it working in the end.

I did think about recording audio seperate but it seems like alot of extra faff to get everything synced up for each clip. In that woodgears.ca article Matthias has alot of seemingly insignificant complaints about each camera that are easy to work around, but I think I can appreciate why they'd bother him so much now.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 03:20:06 AM »
Just to throw my bit in.... I'm hooked, I want to see what this thing does!?  :borg:

Videos... I've done a few, spent 12 hours editing one last year. The computer then decided it didn't want to publish it.  :bang:

Needless to say I gave up on editing it all again and no one got the final instalment of my GID keyring video set  :palm:

Talking over videos. I just never liked the sound of my voice recorded. I always go with the written notes  :)

Fully understood yours though, very smooth transitions throughout too  :thumbup:

£20 for a little arc unit!! Some things are just too good to miss!

Promised myself a MIG welder when I get my house sold.

Looking forward to seeing what this does. Not going to research it. I'll wait for you to show me  :D

Ralph. 
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 06:33:25 AM »
Just to throw my bit in.... I'm hooked, I want to see what this thing does!?  :borg:

Videos... I've done a few, spent 12 hours editing one last year. The computer then decided it didn't want to publish it.  :bang:

Needless to say I gave up on editing it all again and no one got the final instalment of my GID keyring video set  :palm:

Talking over videos. I just never liked the sound of my voice recorded. I always go with the written notes  :)

Fully understood yours though, very smooth transitions throughout too  :thumbup:

£20 for a little arc unit!! Some things are just too good to miss!

Promised myself a MIG welder when I get my house sold.

Looking forward to seeing what this does. Not going to research it. I'll wait for you to show me  :D

Ralph.

Thanks. I think your videos were the first machining videos I ever saw. I know a little brass LED torch was the first thing I ever machined at least.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
Thanks. I think your videos were the first machining videos I ever saw. I know a little brass LED torch was the first thing I ever machined at least.

Firstly... Sweet!
Secondly... You can't just state that and not add a pic!!
 :worthless:

:lol:

Glad you liked them enough to try  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
Secondly... You can't just state that and not add a pic!!

Afraid I gave it away. Made a great beginner's project though.

Offline Divided he ad

• The Collective
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »
No pictures at all  :Doh:

Never mind, I've seen quite a few in my time  :thumbup:

Ralph.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »

Here's the next part. If there's no HD option it might still be processing. Didn't get far enough to use your refractory yet though Rob.

Was a bit more aggressive with the editing since I had alot of stuff to fit in, and none of it was really too exciting to watch.

Also i'm still looking into getting a better microphone. I'm tempted to go all-out since i'd also like to record music with it maybe... and by all out I mean the cheapest USB condenser microphone that people recommend, which is still kinda pricey. But sorry if you can't understand me too well (i just hope it actually is the microphone at fault and not my goofy voice).

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »
Very well done
You made a good job of that "cone" not easy to do at all
Video content was great
I sometimes do a voice over on the computer when editing (the computers own mike is pritty good)
Keep it going
John

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 05:31:23 PM »
Very well done
You made a good job of that "cone" not easy to do at all
Video content was great
I sometimes do a voice over on the computer when editing (the computers own mike is pritty good)
Keep it going
John

Thanks very much!

I had a hard time finding anything online about bending cones. Just loads of companies promoting their plate rolling machines. So I was sort of going in blind with the bending. Like i said in the video, i was really surprised it came out so even. I was expecting way more lumps and bumps.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »
 Another good video, I have watched the Matthias Wandel's videos and think you have emulated his style well ....... that is shows what you want to see but no longwinded stuff. You have made good job of the cone and well done working out a way to do it too, I am looking forward to seeing the finished project working . Keep up the good work .  :thumbup:
  Cheers Mick

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
Another good video, I have watched the Matthias Wandel's videos and think you have emulated his style well ....... that is shows what you want to see but no longwinded stuff.

Thanks, that means a lot.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 12:21:51 PM »

It took a while but here's the next part. I've been pretty busy with university lately and didn't have alot of time.