Author Topic: Toolholder for the Raglan 5inch Lathe  (Read 3986 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Toolholder for the Raglan 5inch Lathe
« on: February 22, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
Hi Guys,
             I had a number of 1/4 inch square HSS tool bits, and have been using them in J&S tool holders. I have fancied making a new tool holder to what is a very old concept, where the tool bit is held in the vertical mode. Up to now I have have only seen shop made designs that are big and clumsy. I have been inspired to make this tool holder to a design recently posted by Arbalest on another forum. The machining is a little tricky and I used a compound angle vice on the mill. I used a 10 degree front and side rake for mine. Used a simple wooden block with vee slot milled in for grinding the tool bit. I tried the completed tool on a piece of rusty old cast iron, and was very surprised how good the finish was, when feeding towards the chuck, and even better when feeding to the tail stock.
                              I have no hesitation recommending this design, thanks Arbalest, well done  David

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
Re: Toolholder for the Raglan 5inch Lathe
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 12:16:13 PM »
It looks very like this one http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/tangential-tool-holder.html . Does it have the same parallogram shape when viewed end on?

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
Very nice!!  :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
Hi Andy,
             Yes it does look like Mikes tool holder, and there are many more that achieve the same result. The end view is not a parallelogram, but it produces the same cutting geometry. It is a rectangle, large side vertical, with a 10degree angle milled on the R.H. side,  viewed from the front end.
           Have you made one? I am going to make another, to take 5/16 inch tool bits, and one to take broken center drills.

Cheers David

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
Hi David,

It's one of the things I keep meaning to make, but which never seem to materialise. When the toolholder does get out of my head and into metal, I'll probably follow Mike's method.

Wouldn't using broken centre drills and grinding them up in the usual jig result in a very round nosed tool?

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »
Hi Andy,
               I have tried grinding an old 1/4 inch center drill at a 45 degree angle and while it produces an elliptical face it did not become too pointed. It cuts freely and produces a smooth finish. I would not use any center drills below 1/4 dia as they would become progressively  too pointed.

Cheers  David