Author Topic: Casting Large Toolmakers Clamps without making a pattern  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Casting Large Toolmakers Clamps without making a pattern
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:35:59 PM »
Hi,
     This clamp was made from a clamp I already had. It belonged to my father, and he bought it from an Army Surplus Store. It is made from steel, and I'm not sure whether it has been cast or drop forged. I have found it most useful and wish I had a pair this size( 7 inch ) jaw length. I decided to use the clamp as a pattern, I filled the screw holes with candle wax, and leveled it off to the surface. This took two attempts due to the shrinking of the wax. The two halves were moulded  in the same flask. The castings turned out well. The pic. shows the finished clamp. I have tried the clamp and it works fine. Being an aluminium casting it is not going to be as strong as steel, but for the majority of clamping I require it will be satisfactory.
                         If anyone fancies casting but are daunted by the thought of making patterns, there are all sorts of things you can use, so why not have a go.               
                                                      Cheers  David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Casting Large Toolmakers Clamps without making a pattern
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »
Nice castings. Satisfying when they come out like that.

I'm assuming (dangerous!) that they are aluminium, so you won't want to put too much force on them or the will bend like bananas.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:20:46 PM »
Turned out well David  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Interesting design  :med: noted .

Rob

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »
I would be very curious to know how the same clamps cast in "*wheelium" compaire with the steel version!

Regards, Matthew

"*wheelium", Al wheel alloy.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »
Reckon they would stand up just fine  ,,,,,,,,,,cast a couple of ally G clamps at school lasted for years , it was the threads in the ally that gave up first .

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:39:12 PM »
 :) :) :)
I cast a "G" clamp at school as well it lasted years
I think if you asked a 15 year old about "g clamps" now he would think it was some sexual transmitted disease  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John