Author Topic: Turning a short taper  (Read 4141 times)

Offline SLM

Turning a short taper
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
Help! I cannot remember how to set up my lathe to turn a taper. Back in college I has to turn a 60° point on a plumb bob...

Now I need to turn a .205" rod with a 45° taper down to a .045" pin that's .375" long. I remember it wasn't hard but not the setup.

My search foo has been weak and I can't find out how to do it. :(  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline pjf134

Re: Turning a short taper
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:55:03 PM »
 Rotate the compound to the desired angle and use the crank on the compound to the finished dim's. I am not sure what the part should look like, but I think the point is .045 dia. by 3/8" long at a 45 deg. on a .205 rod?
Paul
To error is human, but doing it a second time takes a better excuse!

Offline SLM

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:04:01 AM »
Hi Paul... Yep!  Like this picture... except turned, not drawn in MS Paint, LOL!

I guess my question is, which way do I rotate the compound?  Mine is almost always set at 29.5 degrees for thread cutting (the handle is back and right).  I'm thinking it needs to be on the back and left?

Thanks!

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:57 PM »
Can position top slide at any of the four 45 degree angles, makes no odds and depends what tool is going to be used.

My top slides at 90 degrees for threading and normal turning.
So if used top slide in position it is in now at 45 degrees you would have to reverse direction of spindle and cut on the rear.
Usually easier to swing top slide around so on far side with tail stock out the way.

Offline pjf134

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:44:13 PM »
 Johnny said it, any 45 deg. angle will work and it depends on how you set it up. See which one works for you without hitting anything. Be careful running lathe in reverse with a screw on chuck as it will come off if thats the one way you pic if you have that type of chuck.
Paul
To error is human, but doing it a second time takes a better excuse!

Offline arnoldb

• Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:26:02 AM »
If you say you need a 45 degree taper - is that the inclusive angle, in other words if the piece was purely turned down to a point on the end and you held a square against the point it would only fill up half of the square ? - from your drawing it appears that is what you want.

If so, you need to set your top slide to half of the angle offset to turn it (22.5 degrees).  Setting your top slide at 45 degrees will give a 90 degree inclusive angle.

From your comment that your top slide is set normally to 29.5 degrees for thread cutting, it appears that your top slide scale is marked to read 0 when the top slide travel is parallel to your cross slide travel and thus square to the stock in the lathe... If this is the case, you'll actually have to set the top slide to
a)  67.5 degrees with your top slide handle to the left front of the lathe.
or
b) 112.5 degrees with the top slide handle to the right rear of the lathe.

The main disadvantage with a) is that you could end up twiddling the cross slide dial very close to the chuck - watch the clearance carefully, and be safe; it's a prime position to lose a finger. The advantage is you can use tailstock support.
For b), it's a lot safer to turn, but you cannot use tailstock support.

2 cents...

:beer:, Arnold