Author Topic: Little bandsaws  (Read 3714 times)

Offline yorkie_chris

Little bandsaws
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:49:56 AM »
I've got a little bench top bandsaw, it takes blades that are maybe 1/4" wide. It's old, I'll grab some pics of it when I'm next at the old place.

The lower blade guide is missing so the blade jumps off, I could make a new one but is a machine this size going to be much use for anything? For example cutting slices of 40mm ally plate? Do I bite the bullet and buy a big un?

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
Re: Little bandsaws
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:13:46 AM »
Biggest problem with the small dia band saw wheels, on the two and three wheelers is the short life of the blades. Mostly due to the sharp angle turns around the curves of the wheels. If you aren't using it daily and can take the tension off. it would be cheaper.
I had a delta 3 wheeler 5"dia or so, was replacing blades all the time. I then got a 9"rigid and used it to the tensioning casting broke. The part cost more than a whole new saw.
I brought the 14 inch import in to the basement. And never looked back, I think it would be a case of are you using it enough to justify a new/used saw.
 :thumbup:
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
If it is a little Burgess, it will almost certainly have worn plastic bearings in the wheels and will need new PTFE inserts in the guides- for starters.

Sadly, there are no spares anymore. On the positive side, they can be a very useful addition in a small workshop- and will merrily cut 1" square steel.

I had one- and a mate still has his.

Cheers

Norman

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »
 I think the small hobby type 2 wheel bsndsaws will struggle with anything more than thin plate, and you will probably find the surface speed is too high. My bandsaw gets  a fair amount of use on metal and the brown stuff, I built it based on the design in an early Model Engineers Workshop article. Yes its a bit of a pain changing the blade but the blades last well. of course breakages do occasionaly happen when you dont want them to "sods law". It will cut 18mm alloy plate ok but i do have a choice of 3 speeds on the pulleys. Norman, the early Bugess 3 wheelers were ok with  cast bandwheels on needle roller bearings.
John

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »
I have no experience with needle rollers in the Burgess. However, Burgess brought out a conversion set to change the speeds of the Mark 1- to presumably bring it into line with the Mark2- then on sale. The set still hadn't improved  the wheel quality and I recall bushing mine. My mate made a new two stage pulley to conform to the 'conversion set'

Mine simply wore out to a point where I literally gave the thing away.

Maybe our poster will improve on my record