Author Topic: Swarf Tray for Raglan 5 inch Lathe  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Swarf Tray for Raglan 5 inch Lathe
« on: December 29, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
Hi Guys

My lathe is positioned up against the workshop wall and the base is designed to enable the swarf to be removed from the back of the machine via a chute.  see pic 1.  I have no special sheet metal folding facilities so have to improvise. The tray was marked out and cut to size. Two steel bars 6x25mm were clamped either side of the tray lips to be formed, and the whole assembly clamped in the middle of a 6inch bench vice. To ensure there were no hammer marks the base part was pulled over by hand using a piece of timber floorboard the same length of the tray. see pic 3. Well that's all for today, got to eat.

Continued Tomorrow David

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
Re: Swarf Tray for Raglan 5 inch Lathe
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:58:58 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

John

Offline Meldonmech

Re: Swarf Tray for Raglan 5 inch Lathe
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:38:04 AM »
Hi Guys
              The swarf tray will be sandwiched between the base and lathe. Holes will need to be cut in the tray for the lathe mounting and levelling screws. A cardboard board pattern was made with screw holes.  To ensure correct alignment, after positioning the template over the holes, I used a ball pein hammer, using the ball end, in a forcing and rotating action to cut the holes in the card. The template was then used to mark out the hole positions in the tray. see pic 1. The holes were drilled, all was ready for the hired engine crane to lift the lathe and lower lower it onto the base. Brackets were made to support the front overhang of the tray.
                                      Next matching the paint, and a paint job.
                                                                                                             David