Author Topic: Super spacer vs. indexing a rotary table.  (Read 6258 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Super spacer vs. indexing a rotary table.
« on: December 21, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Been having issues with my rotary tables.. for one, figuring out how to use the indexing plate. Well i have read a bunch of books and find it annoyingly anti-intuitive ;)
So ive been googling - and found these "Super spacers" with a notched disk that make the indexing.. well hell of a lot easier..

What is the downsides?.. there ought to be some downsides, because i cant see so many people using them.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
Re: Super spacer vs. indexing a rotary table.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:03:27 AM »
If I understand correctly, the big advantage of the indexing rotary table is the range of divisions that can be made.

Yes, understanding the indexing for the rotary table was quite a challenge for my aged brain too until someone told me to count the spaces, not the holes!

John
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Jonny

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »
Bought a Vertex in 99 used it for a bit and degrees didnt line up.
Bought the dividing plates, only ever used one and mine permanently set up for one task 60 degree increments.

You have to count the holes that gives you the desired indexing and set the drop in to line up. If i want to revolve another 60 degrees i dont count the revs of handle i look at the Vertex degree markings which could be 2 degrees out. I drop the handle pointer in to a hole that never changes.

Sounds daunting but i will tell you i can rotate 30 or 60 degree increments lock it up 4 times quicker than those electronic programmable things with servo on.

Next time i go out i will count the handle rotations for 60 degrees. 6 x that is 1 rev 360 degrees.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »
Jut had a butchers.

For 60 degree increments i have 30 holes.
For every 60 degrees its 15 revs of handle.

6x15 revs = 90 revs of handle for 360 degrees and 1 rev = 4 degrees

If i want 30 degrees its 7 1/2 revs of handle lining up directly opposite of above setting.

If i want 90 degrees off from any 60 increment that would line up near on 150 degrees on Vertex and drop in opposite hole.

Start point can be any 60 degree increment, try it.

Set your dividing plate up when RT scale is at zero. Drop it in to closest 30 hole and set the marker. 15 revs on thats 60 degrees.

Different increments would have to work it out, its a value always divides in to 360.
Want 8 divisions thats 45 degrees apart. Dividing plate number of holes has to be divisable with 45, so 9, 5, 15, 3, 90 etc ten its just a matter of how many revs.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 02:12:42 PM »
Ah well, gonna give it a try once more. i have pulled the hole plates of the rotary table again, and just used it with a circular scribe and measured out the hole patterns with a scale. ;)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
Neo what graduations do you need?

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »
i have mostly done 5 bolt patterns, which is 72 degrees if my math isnt terrible. And on small diameters around 20-30mm.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
Easy, assuming your handle gives 4 degrees per rev.

Count and choose a 30 hole that will do multiples of 4 degrees ie 4,8,12,16,20,24,28,32,36,40,44,48,52 etc
Set the pin to drop in on that pcd
Set RT to zero and dividing plate drop in to nearest notch, more than likely wont line up.

18 revs of your handle from here would be 72 degrees, drop in to same hole as was zero.
Dont worry if 72 degrees doesnt line up on RT, just treat as a guide.
Lock the table job done.

Next 72 degrees is 15 revs of your handle, just spin round until near 144 degrees and drop pin in zero hole.

Told you its easy.

Most of my stuff is multiples of 6 and 12 with a few variations once figured out. I do from zero size to around 10" swing.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 08:10:03 PM »
Very nice gonna have to give it a go again. Sightwheels is a project i ****** up 3-4 times now. (looks hideous) ;)