Author Topic: Slitting Saw blade holder  (Read 2921 times)

Offline jcrous

Slitting Saw blade holder
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:20:09 AM »
I have ordered 2 slitsaw blades of 100 x 22 x 1.2 mm.

While I am waiting for them to arrive. I would like to know what is the best way to make a holder for them.
I can make one with a straight shank to be gripped in my lathe chuck and collet holders, or I may fit a morse taper shank, but them I have to remove the lathe chuck each time I want to use it.

What is the easiest way forward. (How can I prevent the blade from running off-centre? I see that this is aparently a common occurance)
Regards

Johan

Offline John Rudd

Re: Slitting Saw blade holder
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 10:29:31 AM »
Johan,

I made one...Made it so that it could handle differing bores too.

Mine had a plain shank so it could be held in a collet.

Running off centre is an acceptable issue...Depends on the quality of the blade...and how well it was ground when sharpened.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline rdhem2

• I LOVE SWARF!!!
Re: Slitting Saw blade holder
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »
Go slow, lube well, and they will serve you well.  As far as an adaptors goes I made my own similar I believe to what Mr. Rudd did.  As slitting saw blades are so thin many steps on the end of a shank may be turned.  Then a cup is turned to go over all the steps with a flat hex head screw to secure.  Depth of cup relates to depth of the number of steps on the shank.  The only problem with this design is you can not cut close to the end as the depth of cup is always present.  If you make close, flush cuts you must go with the style using a thin washer to secure the blade.  I used 1.250" material and turned the shank to .750" so cup is also 1.250" dia.  The bottom size being dictated by the size of hole in the blade.  A .125" and/or .1875" slot for a key is easily added.  I cut both, 180 deg from each other so I could accomodate either.

One last note.  When you turn the shoulder for the blade make sure there is no radius in the corners.  I prefer a slight groove.  Reason-slitting saws are ground flat therefore the edges of the hole have no relief.  If you clamp an unrelieved shank to a unrelieved blade the stress at the corner will crack the blade.  Whew!  A lot of words to try to get a simple point across! 
Good luck, good machining, and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

:ddb:
Russ