Author Topic: How do I mount conical pins?  (Read 4180 times)

Offline hosinsky

How do I mount conical pins?
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:18 AM »
How do I mount conical pins?

I want to have a couple of defined positions for my top-slide and thought I could use conical pins to do this. I have got the pins and the corresponding reamer. But how exactly do I do this?  Do I drill a hole down to the desired depth with a drill of the same diameter as the narrow point of the pin?  Do I step drill with some thicker drills afterwards?

Second question: I would prefer that the top of my top-slide does not look like Swiss cheese. Is there a way to use the hole in the top part together with several different holes in the bottom part?

Thanks
Goran
Canary Islands

Online BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: How do I mount conical pins?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:46:55 AM »
Do I step drill with some thicker drills afterwards?

Each taper pin requires a number (two or three usually) of specific size drills at varying depths:

see: http://www.icscuttingtools.com/pdfs/tpr-charts.pdf

Using one pin and top hole for a number of bottom holes could prove tricky the taper hole depths will have to match very accurately. I wonder if you'd be better of using a parallel pin ?

Bill
Bill

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:55:34 AM »
Martin Cleeve put a pin in his Myford ML7 top slide etc  to do No2 MT tapers whilst GHThomas did another variant- described in ME Workshop Manual.

Worth digging out? I tried to put all this on the net- and hit threats of legal action.
Ah, well, buy the book. At least , my old friend manage to get that bit done.

Norm

Offline hosinsky

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »
Norm,
I am looking through the ME Workshop manual by G.H. Thomas but I have not been able to find the information. Any reference to chapter or page?  Is the Cleeve pin documented somewhere?

Bill,
The reamer I have is specified as 3/16. The pins are 3.70 mm narrow end, 4.7 mm thick end. Depth 22 mm so, if I understand the tables right I should be able to get away with only one drill size. It will be a blind hole as I want to use the lathe side mounted mill for the drilling, to get everything nice and square.

Thanks
Goran