Author Topic: C3 Mini Lathe with a dead controller sell/fix/turn in to something else  (Read 7195 times)

Offline nickle

Hello All,

Earlier this year my mini lathe was on the wrong end of a power surge caused by a lightning strike. The controller board is fried (mosfets fried and speed read out dead) and my insurance company elected to replace rather than repair so I now have a nice new mini lathe (it even came with a quck change tool post).

So now I have a mechanically sound but electrically damaged mini lathe.

I have thought of the following options...

*sell it as is (explaining the damage in the ad)
*repair it and sell it
*repair it and keep it (because I need two lathes dont I?)
*part it out and sell it
*hang on to it for spares
*hang on to it for conversion to cnc at a later date (this would be a very long term project as funds are not presently available)
*use the bits to build some other tooling.

My quesions are ...

What would you do?
What things could I build from the bits?

Just for reference, I also have
a mini mill
a 4X6 bandsaw
roatary table
a bench grinder.

I wonder if i could make some sort of tool cutter grinder from it....

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: C3 Mini Lathe with a dead controller sell/fix/turn in to something else
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 07:38:21 AM »
Myself i'd try repair it and use it as a second lathe. There's been a few times when i've had to make a whole bunch of small parts, which is boring work so it can take a while to get the whole batch done, but it ties up the lathe since I don't want to change the setup and have to spend a while getting it back to how it all was.

But yeah that's just me.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
I wonder if i could make some sort of tool cutter grinder from it....

Flog it, and put the money towards a T&C grinder ;)

Bill

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:41:37 AM »
I'd keep it as a second lathe. You could use the control board in the new lathe to power it, by running cables between the two, with a changeover switch.

If you decide to sell, it won't fetch much as a non-runner. A new control board from LMS would cost $120 - £140 (you used the expression "part it out", so I assume you are in the US), but fitting one would probably be worth it.

Not sure about a TCG; you would have to fashion some sort of up/down/tilt mechanism under the topslide, and maybe speed up the spindle. 

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
Repair, then CNC it!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »
Hello,

My few eurocents: I would rebuild it into little different lathe.

Do you need often turn bigger/uneven parts?
* Chuck a big faceplate/four jaw chuck
* take all flimsy parts off the cross slide and bolt there block that will house some stout tool holders
* Put big ribbed belt wheel on spindle and small wheel on a slow speed AC-motor (smart move for arduous turning of big chunks of metal)

Or if you need to work with rod material:
* replace chuck with ER/5C collet chuck
* clock everything straight
* probably you could step up a little spindle speed

Or suit it something you encounter offten....everyone has some "Speciality". Turning between centres....coolant system...."dirty jobs"...very nice to have a special machine for it and even better if it redundant or a clunker.

Handicap is that it is same size - benefit is that it has same controls (this is really nice...hate to have machines that each has different feed per handle revolution or even different direction).

I have two extra lathes, but none of them would do a good TCG.

Pekka

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »
I can't see a location on your profile. What power are you on?

If you have 240V/50Hz, does your controller look like this one?

I blew the motor on my Mini-Lathe a few years ago, and repowered it with a 3Ph motor and VFD.

If it will work for you, I'll sell my controller for €45.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 12:19:25 PM by RotarySMP »
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline Pete49

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:58:12 AM »
Don't listen to them just pack it up and send to me and I will dispose of it for you :beer:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline nickle

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 05:41:57 AM »
Thanks all.

Looks like fixing it up is the way to go. I can buy a new board for $165 au from the australian supplier. I have now updated my profile to show that I am from australia I think. I have seen a few articals about repairing the 110 v 250W boards but mine is the 230V 350W board (its different to the one shown by rotary smp but thankyou very much for the offer).

I'm debating the role for the second lathe either the heavy cuts as mentioned, I might alter the pulleys to yeild a little more torqe for this role and remove the compound slide as suggested. The other alternative is to go nuts on tightening it up and fitting bearings to everything and fit a collet chuck to it for precise work.

As far as the grinder idea I was thinking of mounting the 8" grinder above the lathe bed and using the bed and cross slide for xand y and fitting up the compund as a z axis. with a couple of appropriate pivot points I should be able to set up most angles needed for tools.

You have all got me convinced that I need to hang on to it anyway. Thanks for your input and thought on my queries. If any one else wants to chime in I'm still keen to hear them.

Cheers,

Nickle

Offline velocette

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:05:41 PM »
Hi nickle
There is an alternative controller Available ex USA from http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=11-2269&catname=electric
at a quite competetive price. A well built unit, built in the USA

I have them on the drill press and x2 mill drill. The postage is a bit steep for one item but remains the same for multiple items up to a weight limit the supplier should be able to advise you on that.

They have to be set up to match your motor power a bit fiddly but easy to follow instructions are supplied.

As for reducing the speed by replacing pulleys please  keep in mind that the lower speeds will produce more  torque loading on the gears and spindle.

You do not say if it is a "Brushless Motor" or a "Brush Type" If it is "Brushless' then the advice offered is of NO use.

Eric

Eric